Dog peeing in sons room

swatsx

5 Year Member
We have a 4 year old lab /Shepard mix. We adopted her 6 months ago, anyway she just started going pee and sometimes poo overnight in my sons room. She only does it when I'm gone (I work 24 hour shifts) anyway for a month she didn't do anything we picked her food up at 6 pm but found her not eating often during the day. We put her food back and left it all night starting this week and sure enough yes she did eat at usually 8pm but she also peed in my sons room. Can I switch her eating habits ? Get her to eat more during the day? It seems more of a late night eating and drinking issue and not so much the fact that I'm gone

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Sounds like she needs to go outside more often. At least just before your son goes to bed so that you know she's had the chance to go to the bathroom.
Maybe feed her earlier than 8 too. We feed our dog around 5 or 6 and then he gets let out just before we go to sleep at 10pm. He's a Yorkie too so he's got a very small bladder but he makes it fine until 6 or 7am.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I was going to say. My dog gets up during the night and has to go outside. Some animals just can't hold it that long. I feed Misty at noon, once a day, with a small snack of treats around 6p. I take her outside when I get ready to go to bed and she poops and pees, but she still wakes me up around 1 or 2 in the a.m. wanting to go outside.

I don't like the idea of free food. Misty gets a portion of dry food with a tiny bit of canned mixed in, once a day. She eats it all at once. If there were any left over, I'd pick it up and toss it. In my way of thinking, dogs aren't grazers. They don't need to eat all day long. One meal a day, early in the day, is fine, with a very small treat at night.

Another thing to consider is leaking bladder. Is your dog spayed? She's young to be leaking, but some spayed female dogs' bladder leaks when they're resting.

Dogs don't want to soil their sleeping area, and they hold it as long as they can.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's what I was going to say. My dog gets up during the night and has to go outside. Some animals just can't hold it that long. I feed Misty at noon, once a day, with a small snack of treats around 6p. I take her outside when I get ready to go to bed and she poops and pees, but she still wakes me up around 1 or 2 in the a.m. wanting to go outside.

I don't like the idea of free food. Misty gets a portion of dry food with a tiny bit of canned mixed in, once a day. She eats it all at once. If there were any left over, I'd pick it up and toss it. In my way of thinking, dogs aren't grazers. They don't need to eat all day long. One meal a day, early in the day, is fine, with a very small treat at night.

Another thing to consider is leaking bladder. Is your dog spayed? She's young to be leaking, but some spayed female dogs' bladder leaks when they're resting.

Dogs don't want to soil their sleeping area, and they hold it as long as they can.
no free food? You mean you charge your dog? what a meanie

surfergirl

free feeding makes it harder to control their timing on restroom breaks. if you feed on a schedule dogs usually pee and poop about 30 minutes after eating and drinking. also, have to go first thing in the morning and right before bed to hold it through the day and night. it is usually good to keep them in the same room with you at all times so that if they get an urge you can recognize the need and take them out. I put a Christmas collar from petsmart on my door knob going out to the yard. I teach my dogs to ring the bell to go out. it only takes a few times to ring the bell when i open the door and take them out to potty and then suddenly while i am not paying attention i hear the bell ring. i look over at the door and the dog is patiently waiting to go out. it has worked for three generations. one very smart dog i had would ring the bell harder and harder if i did not respond asap or making her wait. :) she was the smartest pup i have had yet. i lost her last month at 16 years of age it was a tough loss. good luck with her training, i know many times we (what us people do) are the problem not the dog. lol. i know that when you free feed like i have for many years they have to be able to tell you when they gotta go.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
My Older male is prone to UTI's. when he has one he will pee in his kennel. ( all my dogs sleep in their own kennel at night.)Please have a vet check before you punish the dog or consider it behavior related.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Over my years of many many dogs, sometimes 7-10 at once and including some of them being puppies, and my years of working with them, I have always free fed and never had an over weight dog or potty problems, ever. If a dog is started out this way, it works and in my opinion, much better then once or twice or three times a day. Free fed dogs don't gobble their food, they don't over eat and they don't starve because the owner didn't get home in time to feed them. Same thing with the water. Should be available all day, taken up at bed time. Also, none of my dogs would/could get up to eat or drink during the night, as they were always caged for sleeping or when no one was home. Another better way to keep a dog during those times. Prevents many problems people have with their dogs, like with this thread. An adult healthy and of proper weight dog should have no problem holding it all night, even 10-12 hours. If they can't, they should have a health check, or they are elderly or if they are over weight, that could be the problem.