Help! With my dogs food problem!

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hey all I am worried about my dog's (Bella) food eating issue btw she is a daschund...ok so we found her about a year ago maybe 2 years ago and she would never eat dog food. she would only eat human food so I need help how do I make her eat dog food again? She will eat wet food but no dry food and what I have tried is to not feed her any human food until she eats her dog food and she goes days without eating it. So any ideas on how to get her to eat dog food?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What type of people food does she eat? People food is not necessarily bad for them. If she's eating fried chicken and fries, that's bad. If she's eating boiled rice and baked chicken breasts, that's great. For now, provided it's healthy food, you can mix 50% people food with 50% dry dog food and see if she'll go for that. Mix the dry food up in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FIrst take her to the vet and make sure there are no underlying health or teeth issues.

Next get some good kibble, like Pro-Plan, and soak it until its mushy. Then mix in a very small amount with whatever food she is used to eating. I'm talking like only a piece of kibble or two at first. Gradually increase the ratio of new food to old over time. Don't be afraid to let her get hungry. You are not starving her if there is food right in front of her. This process will take time.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Ok cool thanks for all the help! I will for sure try everything said! Hopefully a good ending(she'll eat dog food)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Get a cat! Typically dogs see cats as walking vending machines. Sorry but this does require feeding good cat food as well.
I'd do gradual switch as Tom has suggested. This may indeed take time to accomplish, but it will work. My girlfriend brings her dog over for the weekend, we both feed different dry food. Ava, my dog, loves my girlfriends dog kibble but this is counter productive. At times I will mix girlfriends kibble with Ava's kibble and she'll eat it all.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
At the age of 2, unlikely to be teeth issues, Unless you smell a really foul odor coming from the mouth, teeth are lower on the list. Sounds like a fussy dog who needs to go hungry for a day or so to start eating dry. There is nothing wrong with canned food. Current data supports that it doesn't matter dry vs canned and dental disease. They will form tartar with either.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
At the age of 2, unlikely to be teeth issues, Unless you smell a really foul odor coming from the mouth, teeth are lower on the list. Sounds like a fussy dog who needs to go hungry for a day or so to start eating dry. There is nothing wrong with canned food. Current data supports that it doesn't matter dry vs canned and dental disease. They will form tartar with either.

Ok so she is maybe 4 years old and she has always had bad breathe and I don't know if it's a mouth disease or what should I try brushing her teeth?