Dog vomiting up just Spit?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
My best friend in the world just got her new pup, a collie shepherd mix, a few days ago. She works 24 hour shifts, so today was his first full shift time in his puppy day care facility.
Well now he's been home since this morning and started throwing up spit and she's texting me saying somethings horribly wrong and maybe he ate something (he's inseparable from her when he's with her so likely hood is it wasn't when he was with her if something happened).
What does one do in this situation before going and running to a vet? As a new pet parent to him (she's had others but never bonded to any like she did him)she's quite worried, and I have no dog experience to offer anyway. Is this an induce vomiting situation, what should she be doing?!
(Probably good I live a fair distance away because she doesn't really need to know I'm panicking too)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Did she change his food to something new when she got him?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Vomiting spit/bile can mean many things, is he acting differently otherwise? (More active, less active, restless, clingy, snappy)

Stress, new diet, excitement, drinking too fast, etc can all cause issues. As can having been recently vaccinated for doggy daycare.

Does he have other gastro-issues? (aka diarrhea).

Generally what we did for the 'wait and see' crowd when I was a vet assistant was to offer water and SMALL amounts of boiled chicken or ground beef and rice (think 1/4 to 1/2 cup several times a day) and see if that settles the stomach.

If he is very small, very inactive or if he gets the runs he needs to go to the vet asap, dehydration in puppies is very serious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually when they vomit up spit or foam it's because their stomach is empty. Probably just a bit of an upset and there's nothing in there to come up. Let the pup eat some grass. That tends to cause a vomit and that settles them.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Generally speaking inducing vomiting when you don't know WHAT he ate (if anything) isn't recommended. If he's just hacking up slime it likely means there is nothing else left to puke up any way.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Did she change his food to something new when she got him?
I know she wanted to get the same food he was being fed at his fosters because he's a rescue all the way from Arkansas and she didn't want to stress him any more than he's already been thorough. She's also had for for almost a week now, and he's been eating pretty well and putting on some weight

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Vomiting spit/bile can mean many things, is he acting differently otherwise? (More active, less active, restless, clingy, snappy)

Stress, new diet, excitement, drinking too fast, etc can all cause issues. As can having been recently vaccinated for doggy daycare.

Does he have other gastro-issues? (aka diarrhea).

Generally what we did for the 'wait and see' crowd when I was a vet assistant was to offer water and SMALL amounts of boiled chicken or ground beef and rice (think 1/4 to 1/2 cup several times a day) and see if that settles the stomach.

If he is very small, very inactive or if he gets the runs he needs to go to the vet asap, dehydration in puppies is very serious.
She hasn't had him very long to have a good base behavior to judge. He's always been very attached to her from the start. No diarrhea to mention yet. He's not too small, he's just over a year old so not puppy puppy.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450821474.485614.jpg
They're in love, in case it wasn't obvious.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Usually when they vomit up spit or foam it's because their stomach is empty. Probably just a bit of an upset and there's nothing in there to come up. Let the pup eat some grass. That tends to cause a vomit and that settles them.
The only confusing part is he's been eating and pooping per usual, so his stomach shouldn't be empty. She said he just ate a little so she's hoping it was just upset. I'm sure we know how guilty we all are of panicking over small things with new pets

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He probably just got a case of nerves from being at the doggy daycare. Separation anxiety is really common in collie breeds. Hopefully soon he will realize that she isn't dumping him at the pound when she's got work and that she will be back to rescue him.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
They can also puke up water/slime/bile if they drink too quickly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old ius this pup and does it have al its shots? If not, I would not et it go to a doggy day care, they are convienent but not very healthy, specially for puppies. In the good old days before doggie day care, the dog stayed home. Now I get your friends work shift, but its not a good shift to have along with owning an animal without someone else with the pup after 8 hours no more being alone. Now after the fact, give very little food and water. Food recommended, boiled hamburger chicken with rice is fine and little bowls of water. If anything gets worse, get it to a vet. The pup may not be able to handle the stress of doggie day care. Maybe if that's how it has to be, they can house the pup with just a couple other pups or by itself. I had two dogs that didn't handle being boreded at all.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
He probably just got a case of nerves from being at the doggy daycare. Separation anxiety is really common in collie breeds. Hopefully soon he will realize that she isn't dumping him at the pound when she's got work and that she will be back to rescue him.
This seems to be her current hopes and thoughts. Especially with him being a rescue and going through the ringer to end up here.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
How old ius this pup and does it have al its shots? If not, I would not et it go to a doggy day care, they are convienent but not very healthy, specially for puppies. In the good old days before doggie day care, the dog stayed home. Now I get your friends work shift, but its not a good shift to have along with owning an animal without someone else with the pup after 8 hours no more being alone. Now after the fact, give very little food and water. Food recommended, boiled hamburger chicken with rice is fine and little bowls of water. If anything gets worse, get it to a vet. The pup may not be able to handle the stress of doggie day care. Maybe if that's how it has to be, they can house the pup with just a couple other pups or by itself. I had two dogs that didn't handle being boreded at all.
He's just over a year, and yes he has shots, I don't believe they'd even let him in without shots. She actually just met with a wife of one of the guys in her department who does a little dog care from home, so from now on he'll be going there and be in a more homelike environment. She has to go away for a week next month for very personal reasons and I plan to go live over there for the week to keep things as normal as possible for him. In fact I could use advice for keeping things as normal as possible in regards to that, I'd do anything for her and that dog.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's just over a year, and yes he has shots, I don't believe they'd even let him in without shots. She actually just met with a wife of one of the guys in her department who does a little dog care from home, so from now on he'll be going there and be in a more homelike environment. She has to go away for a week next month for very personal reasons and I plan to go live over there for the week to keep things as normal as possible for him. In fact I could use advice for keeping things as normal as possible in regards to that, I'd do anything for her and that dog.
That all sounds much better. As for you watching it and keeping it normal, become as close a second owner as you can. I mean seeing the dog a lot, making sure it loves and respects you too. Routine of the owner should become your routine with the dog when you watch it. A dog with little or no stress issues, it's not a big deal. However if this dog gets stressed easily, then this type of thing would work best for all.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't have dogs, but, I was kinda thinking, he ate a toy or chewed thru some rope or something like that, so basically his tummy is empty, but it's trying to vomit up whatever toy he ate. Just a thought, something else to give your friend something else to worry about. It's just an abstract idea.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That all sounds much better. As for you watching it and keeping it normal, become as close a second owner as you can. I mean seeing the dog a lot, making sure it loves and respects you too. Routine of the owner should become your routine with the dog when you watch it. A dog with little or no stress issues, it's not a big deal. However if this dog gets stressed easily, then this type of thing would work best for all.
Update: he was extra sleepy (she still thinks that was stress and that he may not have slept last night without her) but he was showing signs that made her think of kennel cough, so they're at the vet ER right now getting checked out, because if it's Kennel cough he can't go to the woman's house with other dogs and she'll have to get out of work tomorrow.
I've never met such a loving dog, he took right to me, but certainly not like the bond they have. But I've been told I'm basically his emergency contact if he needs something at day care and they can't contact her... Or if (as scary realistic as it's become) something happens to her while on duty. I'm by far not a second owner but believe myself to be a pretty close second as "auntie" (we're kind of nerds about the whole giving it a title)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Update: he was extra sleepy (she still thinks that was stress and that he may not have slept last night without her) but he was showing signs that made her think of kennel cough, so they're at the vet ER right now getting checked out, because if it's Kennel cough he can't go to the woman's house with other dogs and she'll have to get out of work tomorrow.
I've never met such a loving dog, he took right to me, but certainly not like the bond they have. But I've been told I'm basically his emergency contact if he needs something at day care and they can't contact her... Or if (as scary realistic as it's become) something happens to her while on duty. I'm by far not a second owner but believe myself to be a pretty close second as "auntie" (we're kind of nerds about the whole giving it a title)
Hey, my parents are mema and papa to the grandkids and my dog, I get it its an animal person thing. LOL. Never board a dog with a kennel cough vac. The day care should have insisted on that too. Also, not sure if its in your area, but in mind and other city/States there is z dog flu that spreads easily and can be fatal. Be sure they find out if it has hit your area. Good !uck to the. Hope all turns out just fine.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hey, my parents are mema and papa to the grandkids and my dog, I get it its an animal person thing. LOL. Never board a dog with a kennel cough vac. The day care should have insisted on that too. Also, not sure if its in your area, but in mind and other city/States there is z dog flu that spreads easily and can be fatal. Be sure they find out if it has hit your area. Good !uck to the. Hope all turns out just fine.
Scary: seems like MA had been hit my the dog flu. Thankfully the vet said its just kennel cough, she was up all last night cleaning up mucus he was coughing/throwing up and as of late evening tonight he started playing with toys again.