Dragging hind legs when walking

firework

5 Year Member
My Greek is 4.5 years old now. It's been pretty healthy from what I can tell, except that its hind legs don't seem as strong as the front ones. When it's walking, the bottom shell isn't parallel to the ground, always drops at the back, but not touching the ground of course. Is this just a personality thing or health issue? I don't think it has stone problems because it never acted like sick, but I also heard sometimes stones don't show until it's really bad. As I am the only one I personally know having a pet tortoise, I've never seen another tortoise in real life. Not sure if this kind of gait is normal. Really need some help.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Can you do a video and post it?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
What is her diet like? Leg paralysis can result from eating strictly plant based diet. (From what I've read) or she could have a problem with her hind shell? Pics/ video please. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could be a couple of different things, but MBD stands out in my mind because I have one with that problem and it's MBD. If it has progressed so far as to make the bones weak, it takes a very long time to fix it, so don't be discouraged.

Start immediately feeding calcium-rich foods and sprinkle calcium over the meal twice a week. And remember - all the calcium in the world isn't going to help unless he also gets real sunshine. Sunshine on the tortoise's skin makes vitamin D3. Without this the calcium just gets excreted in the urine.

Do you know of a good tortoise vet in your area?