Dried flowers/weeds too much protein?

Taryn73

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I recently purchased dried weeds and flowers from Kapidolo farms and was wondering if drying them increases the amount of protein. I had read something about this but wanted to double check. I made the mistake of giving my guys (cherryhead) too much protein causing him to produce urates which has since resolved but just want to be extra careful. Thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently purchased dried weeds and flowers from Kapidolo farms and was wondering if drying them increases the amount of protein. I had read something about this but wanted to double check. I made the mistake of giving my guys (cherryhead) too much protein causing him to produce urates which has since resolved but just want to be extra careful. Thanks!!
Will @Kapidolo Farms is the best person I know to answer this question.

More soaking and hydration will prevent urate formation too.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hmm. Urates are normal, they would only be of concern if they were dry (chalky or egg white texture is fine).

The warnings about protein tend to be outdated. They are from the days would people were encouraged to feed testudo tortoises (like my Russian) animal protein, like dog food. All animals need protein, Russians get enough of it from plants though. No dog food needed! :)

A forest tortoise like yours does actually need some animal protein on top of plant protein so one way or the other, dried plant food isn't likely to be an issue. If you are still worried about diet you could ask a question specifically in the red foot forum. But some dried plants mixed into the larger diet of a well hydrated tortoise are unlikely to be a concern.

Taryn73

Florida
Hmm. Urates are normal, they would only be of concern if they were dry (chalky or egg white texture is fine).

The warnings about protein tend to be outdated. They are from the days would people were encouraged to feed testudo tortoises (like my Russian) animal protein, like dog food. All animals need protein, Russians get enough of it from plants though. No dog food needed! :)

A forest tortoise like yours does actually need some animal protein on top of plant protein so one way or the other, dried plant food isn't likely to be an issue. If you are still worried about diet you could ask a question specifically in the red foot forum. But some dried plants mixed into the larger diet of a well hydrated tortoise are unlikely to be a concern.
So my guy started producing chalky urates after I fed him soft bones from canned salmon (one time), repashi suppliment which I have stopped as it has been linked to too much vitamin A, swiss chard, and kale. So I'm not sure what caused it or if any of that was even related. I have soaked him everyday since I've had him over a year and a half. He gets a broad variety of greens and fruit. I grow and offer weeds and flowers and he has them available to graze but he is picky. I've upped his soaking to 30 minutes a day and his urates are almost completely gone. I also feed him 5 mizuri pellets 2x week. After the chalky urates, it kind of freaked me out so now I'm a little paranoid. 😁 I feed him either bugs, chicken, fish, or mushrooms every couple of weeks. From what I've gathered on the forum, redfoots aren't really supposed to produce urates?? Idk. I just don't want him to produce stones. I'm a little bit of a worry wart. 😬

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never in around 30 years seen urates in a Redfoot tortoise. So I can only assume something is off as far as husbandry goes.
Can you elaborate on how they are kept and fed?
Also, Redfoot will avoid DRIED anything. You'll have to mix it in with Mazuri or grind it up on top or into something more palatable for them.

Taryn73

Florida
So I have fed them the dried greens, but I soaked it and mixed with their pellets and had no problem. The only reason I really bought it is bc I know weeds are an important part of their diet but they turn their nose up to most of them. They are fed a variety including red/ green leaf lettuce, escarole, endive, romaine, collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers, broad leaf plantain, chicory, clover, Florida pusley, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, Mexican petunia, zinnia leaves, hosta and a few more grazing plants/flowers. They eat mostly the salad greens and occasionally the plants/weeds/flowers. I offer them and they can graze but mostly just eat the Florida pusley. Fruits are papaya, mango, watermelon, grapes, strawberry, blackberries, raspberries, kiwi, plums, peaches, figs cantaloupe, blueberries and banana about once a month. Their staple is papaya. I offer cactus pads and grow it but they won't touch it. Skinned, chopped, whole, doesn't matter. Veggies they don't really eat but still I occasionally offer zucchini, butternut and yellow squash, carrots, red pepper, and pumpkin. Protein I feed about 1x week or every other including bugs, fish, chicken, and mushrooms. I alternate all of this and try to be mindful of Cal/phos ratios, goitrogens, oxalates, etc. They get 5 pellets soaked 2x per week sprinkled with repti cal ( no D3) and a multi vitamin. They always have cuttlebones available. I live in Florida so humidity isn't usually a problem. They live outside in my large screened lanai that I have modified to provide an environment that is as natural as possible. Their house is a modified chicken coop (I know, not ideal) where the humidity is kept between 80-90% with a misting system and occasional use of a humidifier. Their temps are ok bc I'm in Florida. It's always between 80-90+. They do have a ceramic heat lamp that I had hooked up to keep the temp at 85 during the winter. They have free range of the lanai. I'm getting a new 8'x4' house for them that is divided from lifetime habitats in October and can't wait! They have been separated recently as my cherry head Bruce showed signs of aggression to my redfoot Harriet. Unfortunately I bought two tortoises from a breeder who was looking to make a buck at an aquashella expo and he didn't tell me I shouldn't get two and keep them together. So I'm learning as I go and doing my best. I take them outside everyday to soak and graze/walk around supervised for about two hours. Bruce is the only one with the urates. He has passed large pieces of cuttlebone, and thought maybe that's what is was. Which it could be. But it was a lot! Kept passing them for about a month. If it happens again, I'll take a picture of it although it's hard because he always does it in his daily bath. Thankfully it's been a lot less if any. I'm sure I missed something in all of that! I hope that helps! I think you were the one that identified the large cuttlebone piece he passed. I was so relieved. I was freaking out and still can't believe something that big and sharp came out of him! 😬

Last edited: