Drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbrookee

5 Year Member
Does anyone else actually see their baby leo drinking? I have her water and food out but I have yet to see her go to the water. Do they drink when they are getting their soak? And here's a picture of my little cutie [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1374081184.402027.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1374081184.402027.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 98

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopard was little, the size of yours, I would see him drink very little while in his soak. It took about a year for me to see him drink from his water dish. I would know he had been in it though, as there would be coir in the water. Be sure the water dish is easy for him to get in and out of. A clay saucer that goes under flower pots are the best. If he needs help in or out, put rocks in and around it.

Oh, and they aren't always real obvious that they are drinking.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My hatchlings drink during their soaks and also from their water bowl. I don't see all of them drink from the bowl, but I have caught most of them drinking at some point so I know they know where the water is when they want it.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell when babies drink, so you have to look carefully and watch for the swallow action in their throats. Much easier to tell when my adults are drinking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't often see mine drinking.

One thing to be sure of is that you have an appropriate water bowl. If its too deep, steep or slick, they will often avoid it. Make sure that you see evidence of them using the bowl when you are not there watching, like substrate tracked into the bowl.

I like terra cotta plant saucers the best.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I see my leopards drinking often. I use clay terra cotta saucers for the water dishes.
I have witnessed them drink from the dishes more times than I can count...

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

trusty

5 Year Member
Well I knew mine was drinking as she gets IN her bowl so it always needs changing as its so dirty,, But this morning I watched her and saw her drinking for the first time,,, SO cute!

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I use the shallow zoomed dish, large size and my yearling climbs right in, soaks, drinks and poops at least once a day. Sometimes more. Makes for frequent cleaning, but this way I know he has as much water as he wants
The terra cotta plant plates are highly recommended too, as they are shallow and easy for little torts to access.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Southern California
Not often. But as they grow and require more water, they tend to get seen more often taking big gulps pereiodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.