Drooling Sulcata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have noticed a few times that Tony drools when he sleeps...Is this normal??

He seems well...No issues , no bubbles..sometimes..he naps in the corner during the day and when I wake him..I notice a small puddle of drool...Just wondering if this normal..or if anyone else has noticed this..

Thoughts?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have never seen that before, or just never noticed it... Sorry not much help from me..

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I'm not sure if Bing ever has because where he sleeps the ground is al ready moist.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Could this be moisture from Tony breathing on the substrate? Seems a bit of a stretch, but vertebrates do produce quite a bit of water during exhalation and if he's sleeping in one spot for a while...?

I'd be more apt for the drool theory too, a bit humorous, keep an eye on him!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
drool would be possible due to their salivary glands....hmmmm? I have not ever "noticed" drool from any of my guys (well, maybe my son :p) or gals.....hard to tell with the RESs....LOL...:p:p

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well it's definatley drool..this morning he had a small puddle (size os silver dollar)under his chin...

Maggie..during the day the temp is around 85 at night 80..could this be to hot...It's not foam just straight clear drool...and if I look at his chin I can see that it's coming from under his beak..

Laura..Neither Tony nor Tiny seem to care much for drinking..I soak them every week.. And watch them by CCTV and never seen them take a drink... But they hydrated somehow...when they pee(everyday).. it shoots clear across the room..and if your in there you can get hit by the cross

Tony has done this for a while..I stopped letting him sleep with his head in the Mazuri trough because it would get moist and start to spoil...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
He's done this for as long as I can remember..Should it be cause for concern?? He ia acting his usual self..eating, pooping and is still training for the winter olympics..:p

Thoughts??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know. Try contacting some experienced tortoise vets. PM Dr. Westin here on the forum. It might be an overactive or infected salivary gland...? Its unusual, but doesn't seem life threatening to me. Have you looked inside his mouth for any sign on stomatitus or infection that could be causing this?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Mouth looks clean and lite pink.... No sign of infection... Tony always sleeps spread eagle all his limbs and head stretched out laying on the ground... Tiny on the other hand sleeps with everything tucked in... I always though tony drooled because his head was always tilted down....The female does it sometimes also..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe he is dreaming of fields full of cactus and Mazuri and he is drooling about that or a sexy female sulcata...:p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.