sleeps with head and legs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
I've been checking on my little Koopa a lot while he sleeps. (I just make sure he is alive) well what i have noticed is he sleeps with his head and legs out. Sometimes one leg is completely stretched and his.head tilted to the side like there is a pillow or something. Is this normal?

Katherine

5 Year Member
To me, this indicates you have created a comfortable environment in which your tortoise feels safe. Pat yourself on the back! All of my tortoises sleep sprawled out like that unless it is very cold. Whenever I get a new tortoise or a rescue, it sleeps tucked into its shells for months or years before I eventually see it all sprawled out. I like to think that when they stop fearing predation and start feeling completely safe they don't hesitate to leave their vulnerable parts laying on the ground at night. Regardless, it's definitely not a cause for concern : )

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
lol Yes. I noticed it with my geckos and used to call it the "lizard sprawl" Can't call it that anymore though now that I have a tortoise. It's so cute. It just means they are comfortable and feel safe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is absolutely adorable and I get envious from time to time...wishing that I could just once get as comfortable as they look....lol :D

The old man here, Humphry...lays with all fours and head fully extended and plopped on the ground when he is outside in his day yard....he can lay like this for hours on a mild day....:p

Urtle

5 Year Member
ascott said:
It is absolutely adorable and I get envious from time to time...wishing that I could just once get as comfortable as they look....lol :D

I second that. lol

They make me want to just sleep sometimes

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
katherine said:
To me, this indicates you have created a comfortable environment in which your tortoise feels safe. Pat yourself on the back! All of my tortoises sleep sprawled out like that unless it is very cold. Whenever I get a new tortoise or a rescue, it sleeps tucked into its shells for months or years before I eventually see it all sprawled out. I like to think that when they stop fearing predation and start feeling completely safe they don't hesitate to leave their vulnerable parts laying on the ground at night. Regardless, it's definitely not a cause for concern : )

:)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yes very natural, usually they are basking under the light or sun, getting their full body exposed to the heat!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We usually refer to it as the death pose, it can be scary to first time owners, but it is a natural relaxed state for them to sleep.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My kids call this Joe's "splat position"... He's warm and relaxed!

I can't help wondering how secure they are if they do this in the wild... it looks like a recipe for chewed limbs.

It is entirely normal and a good sign of a happy tort IMO

ChessieW

5 Year Member
Mine have been sleeping sprawled out all the time I've had them!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Willie does that too. At first I thought she was dead then I realized she sleeps like me, with no covers...

ChessieW

5 Year Member
ChessieW said:
Mine have been sleeping sprawled out all the time I've had them!
phuppimageafk.jpg

phuppimageqrx.jpg

They do it all the time!! :):)

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Thank you all for making me feel so much better!!!! I thought it was a sign of weakening

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Tiago and Big momma sleep like this...Big momma done this within the 1st week! :)
They only sleep in theyre shells when a bulb has popped somewhere and there is no heat source! :)

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
My two hatchlings started to do this a few days after I got them and now I can say that my Big Bertha my rescue is dong it too after only a week! :D :D sooo happy that she feels safe with me

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have never seen my RF sleep. I mean never! He's either buried or under his log. Even if I lift the log up he's awake!

Cadance

5 Year Member
My two RTs do this all the time! It is way cute to see them sleeping like that and I am so glad that they are relaxed enough to be doing this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.