drunk Cherryhead:(

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Ok. Obviously I didn't get my tortoise drunk lol, BUT she's certainly acting like it.
THE RUN DOWN-
Her name is Cherry Blossom. She's my 10in adult marbled gorgeous girl:) I have her in with my other adult CHs and I'VE ONLY HAD ISSUES WITH HER AND MY OTHER CHERRIES ARE FINE... (that's why I'm so confused)
So it is time to start bringing them inside. Getting chilly...For the last 5 months they've been outside in their outdoor enclosure. It's been 80 here all summer. 70s at night. Did great. Until I brought her in (This happened last year)
She's been inside for about 7 days. 70%-80% humidity, on cypress mulch, 80-85 degrees (basking spot 90ish) hides, plants, water (I soak her every 3rd day), perfect diet etc...
She didn't eat yesterday or today. And she was walking around drunk. She even walked crooked and flipped over on her back today...
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS?
I would say lathargic for sure. A sign of RI, but WHY???
ANY ADVICE?
(no wheezing, open mouth breathing, dehydration etc.)
JUST A LOVING TORTOISE OWNER CONFUSED AS HELL.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Is there any way she ate something poisonous?
I don't think so but I'm not 100%. I'll have to check the pen...
For some reason, I think it's the "change". The change going from "outside to inside". It just affects her. I try and have everything set up perfectly but it seems like no matter what I do, she gets crazy:( she fell flat on her face today:( last year (and the years before) when this happened, she also caught a RI. Is this just something that will keep reoccuring? I've read once RI sets in, it will keep coming back? Maybe that's what's going on.....:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Boy, it couldn't tell you. I have heard that once they get an URI, they are more prone to them, but I have never heard on a tort acting like that because of one. Maybe @Yvonne G or @tortadise has had experience with something like this, they have many more torts then I do and for a lot long. Good luck, I hope all turns out okay, sure is weird though.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
She could have an ear infection that is throwing off her equilibrium....or .... There could be a neurological issue that needs to be addressed.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Boy, it couldn't tell you. I have heard that once they get an URI, they are more prone to them, but I have never heard on a tort acting like that because of one. Maybe @Yvonne G or @tortadise has had experience with something like this, they have many more torts then I do and for a lot long. Good luck, I hope all turns out okay, sure is weird though.
Thank you. I'll just keep obsessing over it until I find out the cause lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you do get it figured out what is causing it, please share with the forum. It's something pretty rare I would think and would be good for all to learn from. Good luck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, while this is odd behavior for a tortoise....from what you say here ---this may be this torts normal????? I mean, you say each year it occurs when you bring the tort indoors for the winter weather....hmmm?

RI, once a tort has this condition, the tort will always have the condition....it will not show up until the tort becomes stressed....which your tort, by your description, is stressed....I hope all goes well ....is there anyway that you can set the torts up to be outdoors with outdoor housing and heating? I see where you live but I am just inquiring?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Well, while this is odd behavior for a tortoise....from what you say here ---this may be this torts normal????? I mean, you say each year it occurs when you bring the tort indoors for the winter weather....hmmm?

RI, once a tort has this condition, the tort will always have the condition....it will not show up until the tort becomes stressed....which your tort, by your description, is stressed....I hope all goes well ....is there anyway that you can set the torts up to be outdoors with outdoor housing and heating? I see where you live but I am just inquiring?
Ok. Yeah, I can see it could be stress.
I do have outdoor housing and heating. But I can't leave them out 12 months out of the year. Our winters are bad. It'll be really cold here pretty soon. That's why I figured to bring them in. I guess I could have kept them out another month or so (with the heated housing) but I wanted to be more safe than sorry and also wanted a smooth transition. Didn't want to wait until it got cold then brought them in to 80s again.
No but stress makes sense. I pulled her from the group so she's all alone. Seems she likes it better this way. Thanks for your input.