Dry skin

BigTomsMom

Location (City and/or State)
Opelousas louisiana
My red foot always seems to have very dry skin, especially on his head. I soak him and make sure his
Substrate is moist for humidity. Also, i live In south Louisiana where it is very humid. He lives outside year around. Any thoughts?

MikeT307

Florida
How much shade does it have in the enclosure and you mentioned it's outside always but has substrate? I'm assuming you are using and outdoor tortoise table or similar. Is the enclosure sitting on the ground with grass and dirt as the substrate?

As Zeropilot suggested, a picture would help everyone troubleshoot what could be causing the dry skin issue.

Last edited:

BigTomsMom

Opelousas louisiana
How much shade does it have in the enclosure and you mentioned it's outside always but has substrate? I'm assuming you are using and outdoor tortoise table or similar. Is the enclosure sitting on the ground with grass and dirt as the substrate?

As Zeropilot suggested, a picture would help everyone troubleshoot what could be causing the dry skin issue.
His house is off the ground w a wood bottom and Cypress mulch as substrate that he likes to bury himself in at night. The house has a window as well as a door that i open during the day. See photos posted above my response to zeropilot.

MikeT307

Florida
Unfortunately I am more of a novice than an expert. There are other members with much more experience than myself. Shade is the only suggestion I could think of but your tortoise house provides that and you give daily soaks so I'm at a loss of what you could do different to prevent the dry skin.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems to me the whole setup (and it's beautiful by the way!) is too open and dry and needs a lot more bushes and natural "jungle" areas created on the outside, plus a sealed hide that keeps in the humidity.
Also, could we see some pics of your tortoise, which may help us come up with more ideas re the dry skin?? Where is his water pool? Does he have anywhere to dig down and bury himself?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoot gets dry skin outside from time to time. I've found that wetting him, literally drenching him with the hose a couple of times a day seemed to help.

BigTomsMom

Opelousas louisiana
It seems to me the whole setup (and it's beautiful by the way!) is too open and dry and needs a lot more bushes and natural "jungle" areas created on the outside, plus a sealed hide that keeps in the humidity.
Also, could we see some pics of your tortoise, which may help us come up with more ideas re the dry skin?? Where is his water pool? Does he have anywhere to dig down and bury himself?
I have planted a few things over the past couple days. He has a pool that he can drink from and soak in if needed. I don’t have a picture right now but can take one later. Thank you for your thoughts. 9D26BC05-0EE5-44FA-86B7-ED1C4124BDAA.jpeg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You have an absolutely beautiful tortoise.!!!
But... is he pyramiding a little???
Wish you all the luck!!
I too am having a problem with dry skin here in NJ .. mine to s itching her eyes a lot too!???