dry tortoise shell?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
oh, that makes sense. thank you, i've harvested some hibiscus leaves from a local bush! no flowers though, sadly. i don't have coconut oil though, are there other options? i'll probably take her to the vet once i get over covid haha.
Flowers are fine as treat, so just leaves are even better.

I don't know if there are alternatives. If you can't get in grocery stores, pharmacies or cosmetic stores - don't be too upset. It's not a magical essence while helps a bit.

zovick

10 Year Member!
hi this is the one i got, is it correct? how much do i apply and how often? thanks!
Yes, that is the right medication. Squeeze it onto the cracks between the affected scutes and then rub it into them a couple of times daily for at least two weeks and see what happens to the areas. You will most likely need to use several tubes for this treatment. If it seems to be helping, then I would keep doing it for another two weeks, then re-evaluate again. If it is helping, but the areas are still looking suspicious, just keep repeating the two week program for a few months.

Yingg

California
Yes, that is the right medication. Squeeze it onto the cracks between the affected scutes and then rub it into them a couple of times daily for at least two weeks and see what happens to the areas. You will most likely need to use several tubes for this treatment. If it seems to be helping, then I would keep doing it for another two weeks, then re-evaluate again. If it is helping, but the areas are still looking suspicious, just keep repeating the two week program for a few months.
thank you so much! i will do this

Yingg

California
hi again, i tried this and i noticed those areas of the shell are soft. i'm not sure if it was already soft, though last i checked it was hard (which was within the past month). when i run a fingernail down these areas between the scutes they are soft and my nail leaves an indent. think of... really cold polymer clay consistency. does the medication usually do this? there's a chance her shell had gotten soft recently, after i checked. is it normal for the shell to be soft between the scutes? gah, i am so confused. i just scheduled an appt with an exotic animal vet and hopefully she will help my baby.

zovick

10 Year Member!
hi again, i tried this and i noticed those areas of the shell are soft. i'm not sure if it was already soft, though last i checked it was hard (which was within the past month). when i run a fingernail down these areas between the scutes they are soft and my nail leaves an indent. think of... really cold polymer clay consistency. does the medication usually do this? there's a chance her shell had gotten soft recently, after i checked. is it normal for the shell to be soft between the scutes? gah, i am so confused. i just scheduled an appt with an exotic animal vet and hopefully she will help my baby.
Anything soft is NOT from the medication. Good luck with the vet appointment. Remember, no vitamin shots are good for your tortoise and don't let the vet give it Baytril either. If an antibiotic shot is needed, it should be ceftazidime.

Yingg

California
Anything soft is NOT from the medication. Good luck with the vet appointment. Remember, no vitamin shots are good for your tortoise and don't let the vet give it Baytril either. If an antibiotic shot is needed, it should be ceftazidime.
hmmm yes! noted! i will continue using the neosporin. maybe the shell is just soft because it's new growth... really unusual though. i'll likely ask the vet. are you a vet too haha?

zovick

10 Year Member!
hmmm yes! noted! i will continue using the neosporin. maybe the shell is just soft because it's new growth... really unusual though. i'll likely ask the vet. are you a vet too haha?
I am a dentist who kept tortoises continuously for 61 years, from 1958 through 2019. I almost went to veterinary school, but at the last minute decided on being a dentist instead.

I was on the staff of the Bronx Zoo from 1976 through 2007 and was exposed to numerous veterinary procedures which were performed on their tortoises, turtles, and many other animals as well.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yvonne had mentioned coconut oil.
I bought some on Amazon and did what she said AND IT MADE SUUUCH A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!
Please try this!!!
It does work!
🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️

P.S.— Thanks so very much Yvonne!!! 🥰😘

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
They have cheaper ones as well!!!!
This was just to show you how it comes.

Attachments

• IMG_6796.png
    IMG_6796.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 2

Yingg

California
I am a dentist who kept tortoises continuously for 61 years, from 1958 through 2019. I almost went to veterinary school, but at the last minute decided on being a dentist instead.

I was on the staff of the Bronx Zoo from 1976 through 2007 and was exposed to numerous veterinary procedures which were performed on their tortoises, turtles, and many other animals as well.
oh wow, that's really cool! thanks for all your help so far btw 🙏

Yingg

California
Yvonne had mentioned coconut oil.
I bought some on Amazon and did what she said AND IT MADE SUUUCH A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!
Please try this!!!
It does work!
🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️

P.S.— Thanks so very much Yvonne!!! 🥰😘
whoa now i've got to try, especially if neosporin doesn't work. i'll see how it goes with this medication first 🤞

Yingg

California

hello again, i have updates on my tortoise. the areas between her scutes are strange. some areas are quite soft. there is also white residue, though i think that's just the neosporin. her shell is soft, and i can basically run my nail over it and leave a mark. some parts i could even scrape off. is this normal? i don't think it's because of the neosporin. i'm worried because it could be shell rot, but at the same time her shell was really dry. anyway.... this can't possibly be normal. should i try athletes foot cream just in case? mix both neosporin and the cream? the third image shows a little "dent" in her shell, where it was awfully soft. same with the gaps between her scutes near her behind. 😭 so worried 😭

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpeg
    IMG_6887.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6888.jpeg
    IMG_6888.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6889.jpeg
    IMG_6889.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6890.jpeg
    IMG_6890.jpeg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6891.jpeg
    IMG_6891.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
hello again, i have updates on my tortoise. the areas between her scutes are strange. some areas are quite soft. there is also white residue, though i think that's just the neosporin. her shell is soft, and i can basically run my nail over it and leave a mark. some parts i could even scrape off. is this normal? i don't think it's because of the neosporin. i'm worried because it could be shell rot, but at the same time her shell was really dry. anyway.... this can't possibly be normal. should i try athletes foot cream just in case? mix both neosporin and the cream? the third image shows a little "dent" in her shell, where it was awfully soft. same with the gaps between her scutes near her behind. 😭 so worried 😭
It is not shell rot. I wouldn't bother with athlete's foot cream. If you don't want to keep using the Neosporin, I think your best bet is to just leave the tortoise's shell alone. Feed it a good varied diet with good supplements on its food. I recommend Ultrafine Rep-Cal with D3 and Herptivite. I put both of those on my tortoises' food daily for many years and they had no issues whatsoever.

Yingg

California
It is not shell rot. I wouldn't bother with athlete's foot cream. If you don't want to keep using the Neosporin, I think your best bet is to just leave the tortoise's shell alone. Feed it a good varied diet with good supplements on its food. I recommend Ultrafine Rep-Cal with D3 and Herptivite. I put both of those on my tortoises' food daily for many years and they had no issues whatsoever.
oh, thank you. i'll continue neosporin. the vet is in 10 days so i'm hoping for them to know what is wrong with her. i will look into those supplements, thanks! she's picky so i'm also currently working on getting her to eat something that isn't mustard and lettuce..., she really likes cabbage from the last time she stole some from my salad, but i know she shouldn't have it :(( thanks so much for your help, i hope i didn't bother you with all my questions. i'm just really worried 😭

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
COCONUT OIL ..... As mentioned coconut oil leave alone for 30 minutes then wipe off with a absorbent cloth/towel. You need to be very careful wiping it off if the shell is so soft. The reason for the coconut oil is to re-hydrate the keratin that the shell is made of. Any other oil will NOT work, the lauric acid content in the coconut oil is what keratin HAS to have to absorb instead of just coat the keratin.

Yingg

California
COCONUT OIL ..... As mentioned coconut oil leave alone for 30 minutes then wipe off with an absorbent cloth/towel. You need to be very careful wiping it off if the shell is so soft. The reason for the coconut oil is to re-hydrate the keratin that the shell is made of. Any other oil will NOT work, the lauric acid content in the coconut oil is what keratin HAS to have to absorb instead of just coat the keratin.
oh that makes sense. thanks for explaining! i will see if i can get some

Yingg

California
COCONUT OIL ..... As mentioned coconut oil leave alone for 30 minutes then wipe off with a absorbent cloth/towel. You need to be very careful wiping it off if the shell is so soft. The reason for the coconut oil is to re-hydrate the keratin that the shell is made of. Any other oil will NOT work, the lauric acid content in the coconut oil is what keratin HAS to have to absorb instead of just coat the keratin.
hello, i just bought this. is it correct?

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpeg
    IMG_6943.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Yingg .... I am so sorry to have not explained the type to get in my earlier post. That is a "Refined" oil, you need "Unrefined and Expeller Pressed" oil. That brand does make this oil but am not sure if it's sold in major brand stores. Again I am so sorry for not explaining this previously. It says a lot that you went out and bought some, Kudos to you.
Refined and Cold Pressed remove some of the Key components needed to "Hydrate" Keratin. I'm guessing that they may still have some effects but not sure how effective they are. Coconut oil fats are comprised of about 50% Lauric acid, the highest of any oils. The next best would be Jojoba oil, not to sure on "What" the exacts are like being Unrefined, since I solely use Coconut oil.

Yingg

California
@Yingg .... I am so sorry to have not explained the type to get in my earlier post. That is a "Refined" oil, you need "Unrefined and Expeller Pressed" oil. That brand does make this oil but am not sure if it's sold in major brand stores. Again I am so sorry for not explaining this previously. It says a lot that you went out and bought some, Kudos to you.
Refined and Cold Pressed remove some of the Key components needed to "Hydrate" Keratin. I'm guessing that they may still have some effects but not sure how effective they are. Coconut oil fats are comprised of about 50% Lauric acid, the highest of any oils. The next best would be Jojoba oil, not to sure on "What" the exacts are like being Unrefined, since I solely use Coconut oil.
haha it's okay. i can buy it again. or return this hahaha. for now i think i could try using it though, because from my understanding this one does have SOME of the properties? i'll have to buy another one on amazon 🤣