dry tortoise shell?

Yingg

Location (City and/or State)
California
Yeah they keep the ceramics at a safe temperaturešŸ˜Š
If you type in reptile ceramic heat emitter, a bunch should come up, free feel to double check them here, I canā€™t say for certain on the wattage, sometimes people have to test different ones, most go with 100w
i found this one!! i'll look for the thermostat now. is there something i have to use to make the lamps turn on? a fixture or something? i'm pretty lost right now TwT

Attachments

• IMG_8842.jpeg
    IMG_8842.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
the kit (second image) is something i'm buying only for the fixture, since it's the only one i could find. (34 inch fixture). it comes with 5.0 UVB which i doubt i'll use, so i put two reptisun t5 10.0 34" in my cart to use instead. for the cococoir, that's the brand i usually use. i will have to check out garden supply for orchid bark ^^ is everything here alright?
Iā€™ll have to have someone confirm that dome for you as Iā€™ve never had to use them so hang fire, the basking bulbs look fine, if that fixture is the same length as the reptisun that should work fine, I believe you get just the one bulb but I could be wrong as thereā€™s two pictured, but perhaps check the small print, either way just one t5 uv bulb is all youā€™ll need with the fittingšŸ˜Š
For the substrate Iā€™m not 100% if itā€™s coir or if it has fibrous coconut strands in(which are an impaction risk) perhaps try this link below for the coir? Iā€™m pretty sure you can get that brand in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW653X2/?tag=

Liner looks goodšŸ‘

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
i found this one!! i'll look for the thermostat now. is there something i have to use to make the lamps turn on? a fixture or something? i'm pretty lost right now TwT
Yep they look fine, when looking at thermostats, make sure itā€™s an on/off one, not a dimming one. Also make sure the wattage is higher than the amount youā€™re putting in, so for example if youā€™re using 300w with of bulbs, you want a thermostat that has more than double that power, try find a 1000w one.

For your basking, ambient light(which will both be on the same timer) and uv, youā€™ll need two separate timers, plug in wall timers will do the trick.
As for the ceramic should you need one, no, just plug into the thermostat, set the temperature and put the probe into the coolest point of the enclosure and leave it running 24/7, the thermostat will turn it on/off for you as and when itā€™s neededšŸ™‚

Obviously for all your bulbs youā€™ll need the dome fittingsšŸ‘

Yingg

California
Iā€™ll have to have someone confirm that dome for you as Iā€™ve never had to use them so hang fire, the basking bulbs look fine, if that fixture is the same length as the reptisun that should work fine, I believe you get just the one bulb but I could be wrong as thereā€™s two pictured, but perhaps check the small print, either way just one t5 uv bulb is all youā€™ll need with the fittingšŸ˜Š
For the substrate Iā€™m not 100% if itā€™s coir or if it has fibrous coconut strands in(which are an impaction risk) perhaps try this link below for the coir? Iā€™m pretty sure you can get that brand in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW653X2/?tag=

Liner looks goodšŸ‘
oh okay! i think my substrate looks exactly the same as the one you linked, which is good. and yep, i'm going to buy two just in case ^^

Yingg

California
Yep they look fine, when looking at thermostats, make sure itā€™s an on/off one, not a dimming one. Also make sure the wattage is higher than the amount youā€™re putting in, so for example if youā€™re using 300w with of bulbs, you want a thermostat that has more than double that power, try find a 1000w one.

For your basking, ambient light(which will both be on the same timer) and uv, youā€™ll need two separate timers, plug in wall timers will do the trick.
As for the ceramic should you need one, no, just plug into the thermostat, set the temperature and put the probe into the coolest point of the enclosure and leave it running 24/7, the thermostat will turn it on/off for you as and when itā€™s neededšŸ™‚

Obviously for all your bulbs youā€™ll need the dome fittingsšŸ‘
i found this for the thermostat (it turns off and on) i like how it has two outlets ^^ for the dome fittings, can i use that fluker's one that i linked? is it the right type? i'm confused as to how all this is supposed to plug into the outlet haha. hopefully i'll figure it out soon. (and hopefully colleges will allow a 44x34 inch enclosure in the dorms...) i also already have two timers, or maybe three. i'll have to find the third one though.

Attachments

• IMG_8843.jpeg
    IMG_8843.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You are doing great hunny bunny!!
Keep up the great job!!!! šŸ‡
You keep asking as many questions as you want.
I am reading it all and Iā€™m so happy for you and want you to get the best info here.
Welcome!!
Welcome!!
Welcome!!!!!!
Soon you will be one of us! šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

One of usā€¦.šŸ§Ÿā€ā™€ļø
One of usā€¦šŸ˜µ
One of usā€¦.šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

šŸ¤­šŸ¤­šŸ¤­šŸ™ā¤ļø

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
i found this for the thermostat (it turns off and on) i like how it has two outlets ^^ for the dome fittings, can i use that fluker's one that i linked? is it the right type? i'm confused as to how all this is supposed to plug into the outlet haha. hopefully i'll figure it out soon. (and hopefully colleges will allow a 44x34 inch enclosure in the dorms...) i also already have two timers, or maybe three. i'll have to find the third one though.
I believe both the thermostat and dome you linked are fine, but just hang fire for someone like @Alex and the Redfoot or @Tom to confirm because theyā€™re better at the technical side, our equipment differs cause of where we live, so I donā€™t want to accidentally give the go ahead on something that wonā€™t work for you, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll be about soonšŸ™‚

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just FYI, unless things have changed, colleges frown upon animals in the dorms. I got booted out of my dormitory in dental school for having a Star Tortoise and a Corn Snake in my room.

You might need to get an apartment instead (assuming they let underclassmen live off campus).