dry tortoise shell?

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
If she ate the stone it could be 1-2 weeks ago. Soaking in warm water helps them to pass things like this.

And, yes, nopales like aloe and other succulents is a natural laxative. Don't overdo it :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
hm, perhaps 😂 i usually let her soak before roaming, so maybe it came from before?
Yeah it can take a long time to pass through, so long as she doesn’t have access to a load of small stones/gravel, if she happens to find the odd tiny one and eats it, it should just pass through lol

Yingg

California
If she ate the stone it could be 1-2 weeks ago. Soaking in warm water helps them to pass things like this.

And, yes, nopales like aloe and other succulents is a natural laxative. Don't overdo it :)
how often can i feed nopales? sorry for the late reply. i think my email decided to not work ^^;

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
how often can i feed nopales? sorry for the late reply. i think my email decided to not work ^^;
Once-twice a week, I guess is safe. Or mix a little daily on hot dry days or when she's eating but you haven't seen her poop in a while. It's a nice amendment for hydration, "enhancing" low-calcium foods and so on.

Yingg

California
hello all, i have returned.

i notice that i haven't seen any poop in her enclosure. i let her soak at least once every two days. I know she pees in the enclosure. is this a concern?

also, does anyone know a list of safe food i can feed her on a day to day basis? right now, i feed her hibiscus, frisee, lettuce, and nopales occasionally since it has laxative effect. i heard bigger tortoises can eat nopales every day and have no issue. is there a food mine can eat every day?

i also have begonias.

Attachments

• IMG_2423.png
    IMG_2423.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Have you tried Mazuri? I am not sure how much you feed daily but Mazuri is a great food to have. I really do not like how it sticks to their faces (when soaked) but I just soak them or wash off faces afterwords.

Yingg

California
Have you tried Mazuri? I am not sure how much you feed daily but Mazuri is a great food to have. I really do not like how it sticks to their faces (when soaked) but I just soak them or wash off faces afterwords.
oh i will try!! i think i'll add some pumpkin so she is interested. thank you!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
With the azuri it is a complete Nutrient feed so you do not use supplements in the Mazuri, it can mess up the ability to get all nutrients. Mix a little of a couple things with it and it is a great option to have as a food.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
hello all, i have returned.

i notice that i haven't seen any poop in her enclosure. i let her soak at least once every two days. I know she pees in the enclosure. is this a concern?

also, does anyone know a list of safe food i can feed her on a day to day basis? right now, i feed her hibiscus, frisee, lettuce, and nopales occasionally since it has laxative effect. i heard bigger tortoises can eat nopales every day and have no issue. is there a food mine can eat every day?

i also have begonias.
In this care sheet there is a list of suggested foods: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Leaves and flowers of begonia are fine too.

Also there is https://thetortoisetable.org.uk/ to check plants for edibility (it's rather conservative but a good start).

I would recommend Mazuri LS or ZooMed Grassland as amendments over classic Mazuri 5M21. Also, there are Arcadia Optimized52 tortoise food and DragonFuel topper. Dried leaves and toppers from KapidoloFarms (they also sell Hikari Mulberrific pellets which are nice). Mix some of the aforementioned with green lettuce to get a nice nutritious tortoise meal :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It’s an interesting pattern she has going on atm lol, but I’m definitely feeling far less concerned about her, I think she’ll continue to improve.

I don’t suppose you’re able to order some of this stuff where you live? I was just thinking the other day about how picky your little one can be, which could be why she refuses to eat sometimes, this is good for sneaking some more variety in, and from what I’ve heard, most torts go for it right away, you soak each cube in water(quantities on packet) until soft and you could add a bit on a few feeds each week, might be worth a go to try and get her eating more, hopefully she’d like it🙂 Alex suggested it to me not long ago and our red foot loves it!
View attachment 378581
Glad to see you back! This is one of the one Alex has mentioned and I recommend before, I think your girl will hopefully really like it and it’s really good to provide her with some variety🙂