duct tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm planning to make an enclosure and was wondering if duct tape would let out any toxin if i want to use it to waterproof some parts.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Highly doubt it would, you can read the warning label on it if you are scared that it will give of any toxic fumes etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are so many better things, cheaper things to use. What are you going to put the tape on?

cpk

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
There are so many better things, cheaper things to use. What are you going to put the tape on?

I'm not sure, but on another thread, the person used duct tape to water proof the enclosure.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Check out AquaGuard Liquid Rubber, it is safe to use with reptiles.It has been around for years but for some reason could not be sold in the US, but is available now. Duct Tape will slowly come apart in moist conditions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Layers of duct tape will not stop water either. It will seep through the edges. And when it starts to separate and or peel up the torts might try to eat it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How were you going to use it?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Skip the duct tape. I know it is heresy to say this, but the stuff almost never works as well as you want it too in any situation.

For a cheap, safe, easy, and effective barrier, just line it with heavy sheet plastic like a shower curtain liner or heavy plastic tarp. I used a blue tarp for a big enclosure indoors and was 100% happy with it.

Just don't cut or puncture it in the area you need waterproofed- 'hospital fold' the corners and staple, tack, or tape it above the waterproof area.

You can also use various waterproofing agents, paints, rigid waterproof material and caulking, etc., but the liner seems to work the best overall for most people.

cpk

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the replies.
I was going to use some duct tape to put around the bottom of a hide, at the part where it touches the substrate, because last time i bought one of those half log hides from Petco, and after a few months, these little grey hopping bugs appeared on the edges and infested the enclosure. I'm assuming that it was because I made it too humid. But nevermind now. I think I'm going to use some sort of waterproof paint or sealant, and shower curtain for the rest of the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.