dust=future respritory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
so i have a Russian tort named Ayden and from what i've read your supposed to have next to no humidity in their habitat (that's what i've gathered, anyhow). I usually have a mix of 3/5 parts soil, 1/5 part coir, and 1/5 sphagnum moss for his substrate, but i'm finding that the soil produces some dust...it's producing more dust the finer that it gets which is to say the more that he walks on it and breaks it down. i thought that i might be able to use a spray bottle to make it less dusty, but a spray bottle would up the humidity which i thought that i wasn't supposed to do....i haven't done anything yet to fix it because it doesn't become a problem until close to time for the substrate to get changed out again, but for those few days he starts to sneeze and make a blowing sound from his nose. i'd like to fix that because even if it isn't hurting him it makes me worry that he will get sick....can i use a spray bottle without worry that it will get too humid? what should i do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL....I am trying really hard not to poke fun (from one member to another, lol) :D

So, I would say that an occasional misting would not cause any harm...if you have the top of the enclosure open and you are not saturating the dirt then all should be alright.... especially since your humidity levels are relatively low now--a little bit from time to time is alright---it is just that you do not want to have him setting in damp moist soil as a constant....:D

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
i'd just planned on dampening the walls once or twice a week to make the dust go back down into the dirt. And feel free to poke fun lol, better to be poked fun at than to do something wrong (or do something to less than the best of my abilities) :) I luvsh my tort :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
And feel free to poke fun lol, better to be poked fun at than to do something wrong (or do something to less than the best of my abilities)

Oh no...my reference to making fun stems from the other thread we were posting on..."Is my Russian alright"...I would never make fun in any seriousness....seriously :D

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
ascott said:
And feel free to poke fun lol, better to be poked fun at than to do something wrong (or do something to less than the best of my abilities)

Oh no...my reference to making fun stems from the other thread we were posting on..."Is my Russian alright"...I would never make fun in any seriousness....seriously :D

oh lol okay, i understand now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.