Dying hatchling Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiraphon

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I need all advices here.
My Sulcata pair have been breeding and so far she laid 6 clutches of average 20 eggs per clutch. Thank god (I hope) she is done for this year. I have 4 clutches hatched at average of 80-85%hatching rate. I incubate them at about 87F with about 80% humidity. Everything seems to be just fine until the 5th clutch just started to hatched last week. The first egg hatched at about 75 days and so far 10 babies hatched, but 5 of them didn't make it through the second day. Some who died, seem to be very weak, smaller and got a lot of egg yolk outside their body. Most of those cracked the shell but didn't make it all out, a few of them successfully hatched but died a few days later. They (5 who died) acted lethargic and eventually died. The other 5 seems to be ok, eating, drinking and moving around. I never changed any set up on my incubator since it always running. The temperature and humidity always showed 87F/80humid. It just broke my heart to see those little guys dies. If anyone have any of this early dead or any suggestions at all, please let me know. I am open to anything.
Thank you so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sounds like they might have hatched out too soon. But I don't really know for sure. In my case, my DIS (dead in the shell) is usually caused because I forget to keep the humidity up in the incubator. I don't know all the reasons for hatching too soon. Hopefully someone better experienced at hatching will give you some insight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did any have split scutes? One thought is that your thermometer is off. 15-20 days early is pretty odd. These were incubating over summer. Might they have gotten too hot on a few scorching summer days?

Did you recently add water to the incubation medium? Sometimes this will make near term eggs pop open before the babies are quite ready.

Just throwing out possibilities.

phiraphon

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone. I will use a portable thermometer to check and see if that incubator is off.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Im so sorry to hear that. That is so sad. I hope you get it all figured out. Wish I had some advice for ya. Im new to the sulcata breeding. Ive got mine in the incubator now. But I did have a lot of box turtles die inside their eggs. Never understood it. Some weird things just happen. Wishing you better luck in the future!

M

Maggie Cummings

Could it be a lack of enough calcium in the female?

Status
Not open for further replies.