Here we go again. . .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
. . . eggs hatching at different times. On July 5th one egg hatched from a March clutch. Then on the 16th an egg in the March clutch hatched, but also one from an April clutch - same mother, different incubators. Then on the 17th, one hatched from the March clutch. And today another hatched from the April clutch. I can understand them hatching at different times when they're in different incubators - maybe the temperature isn't quite as consistent between the two incubators, but why do the same clutch in the same incubator not all hatch at the same time?

Here are the babies. From left to right July 5 from the March clutch, then two from July 17 from the March clutch, then on the right, one of the April clutch from yesterday. Staying in the egg an extra month caused those two babies (one not shown due to large egg sac still not absorbed) to be quite a bit bigger than the March two.

baby leopards 7-18-18 c.jpg

Notice that one of the March babies only has 4 vertebral scutes. I've been getting at least one baby each clutch with aberrant scutes.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have one big incubator and have the same thing happen. I've had months between eggs hatching in the same box even. Always wondered why

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have one big incubator and have the same thing happen. I've had months between eggs hatching in the same box even. Always wondered why
In the natural nest, they're all piled on top of each other. I'm wondering if that makes any difference. I'm tempted to try keeping them all piled up next time I get a clutch. I DO place them in little plastic tubs with all the eggs touching another.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
But, do we know if they all hatch at the same time when in the nest?
I would think the ones on top would hatch first as it would probably be the warmest part of the nest, with the middle being nest and then the furthest ones down.
Would be cool and interesting to do a nest that was built like an ant farm but of course to proper size to be able too see exactly how, what and who the hatching went.