• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Egg sizes for a few tortoises...

Markw84

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I hatched my first tortoise in 1982. It was a clutch of 3 G berlandieri. That was almost 38 years ago, but the delight of watching tortoises hatch is still the same today.

Right now in my incubator I have some Sulcata eggs hatching as well as my first clutch of the season of Burmese Stars are hatching. Seeing them together gives and interesting comparison of egg sizes. I also am incubating some Galapagos eggs and now seeing them next to those eggs is amazing. So I thought it would be of interest to share the differences in simple appearance.

I place the eggs together in the same shelf on one of my incubators for the picture. They are kept in different incubators with different temperatures and Day/Night drops depending upon species and desired sex ratios. So this juxtaposition is for photo op only.

Burmese eggs normally weigh in the 25g-35g range.
Sulcata eggs are normally in the 50g-55g range.
These Galapagos eggs are in the 95g-100g range.

You can see 3 of the Burmese have pipped just this morning.
2 of the Sulcata are now out of the egg and ready for brooder box.
Galapagos aren't due until May.

IMG_0040.jpg

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice comparison. Can't wait too see the Galapagos hatch.
I dont miss my leopards laying in the colder fall nights, but I do miss waiting for little ones too hatch.