Eastern Box Turtle Pen

EricL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, just wanted to post and get some tips and advice from others. I do plan on adding a cap around the edges this coming weekend and then either look into a full enclosure wire top or electric fence. Still Contemplating. This enclosure houses 4 rescue box turtles. 2.2, was planning for 1.3 but two of the rescues I got off craigslist were a pair and I couldn't say no after seeing them in a 20 Gallon aquarium.

image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 41

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have the sides buried or a bottom on it? They can dig down and possibly out.
A bigger water dish too would be nice. They like to sit in the water even swim.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hi Eric, Your turtles wound be happier with more room to wander,. and the males should be separated from the females for the females well being, (especially when living in a smaller enclosure). I've been keeping eastern box turtles a long time and never had a problem with them digging to escape.So just put some more soil and or leaf debris around the inside of the walls so if they dig in to hide or to get out of the sun they don't dig under it. Another thing, if you cap all away around the top of the walls there should be shade available at any time of day somewhere in the enclosure for them to use if they want.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hi Eric, Your turtles wound be happier with more room to wander,. and the males should be separated from the females for the females well being, (especially when living in a smaller enclosure). I've been keeping eastern box turtles a long time and never had a problem with them digging to escape.So just put some more soil and or leaf debris around the inside of the walls so if they dig in to hide or to get out of the sun they don't dig under it. Another thing, if you cap all away around the top of the walls there should be shade available at any time of day somewhere in the enclosure for them to use if they want.

Hey Len, this is a somewhat temporary enclosure as I do live with my parents, so I was limited on space. Also there is chicken wire that is 2ft deep all around the enclosure. It is located in the edge of the woods, so it does get very spotty sun light. Typically less than half the enclosure is sunny at any given time of the day.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Hey Len, this is a somewhat temporary enclosure as I do live with my parents, so I was limited on space. Also there is chicken wire that is 2ft deep all around the enclosure. It is located in the edge of the woods, so it does get very spotty sun light. Typically less than half the enclosure is sunny at any given time of the day.
I understand, I was young once. Just do your best and keep an eye on how the males act toward the females so they don't get over stressed.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
I understand, I was young once. Just do your best and keep an eye on how the males act toward the females so they don't get over stressed.

I have a little convincing to do, but I think I'm gonna double the space making it about 16x8. Would that be an okay size to add maybe another female or two to make the ratio better, while still being adequate space for them all?

Len B

10 Year Member!
If you can double the size that would be good. Divide in half with a barrier that has a opening that can easily opened and closed to keep them separated or let them roam together at times. I wouldn't try to crowd any more in there though.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
A nice start up enclosure Eric...of course doubling the size of the enclosure will help and so will more plant cover and hides. I hope your males aren't showing signs of aggression. Good luck adding on to your enclosure.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
What is the current size?? My outdoor pen is 6ft x 8ft but it only has 1 female and some times my one male three toed, i have a mesh lid but that is to keep pups, cats, raccons and any other pest out