Eastern hermanns shell rot?

Alexruedel

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi everyone, curious if my 1 year old eastern hermanns is developing some sort of shell rot/ fungus?
I changed out the substrate that was old and damp and got a new UVB for the first time since this date last year.
If so was wondering what would be the best treatment?
He is very active, eats and poops in his morning bath each day.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 4DA3E61E-583C-46C5-9895-0907918B0AFA.jpeg
    4DA3E61E-583C-46C5-9895-0907918B0AFA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone, curious if my 1 year old eastern hermanns is developing some sort of shell rot/ fungus?
I changed out the substrate that was old and damp and got a new UVB for the first time since this date last year.
If so was wondering what would be the best treatment?
He is very active, eats and poops in his morning bath each day.
Thank you.
Hermanni don't get shell rot. Most species are resistant to it. Shell rot is most commonly seen on red foot tortoises that are kept on substrate that is too wet for too long. When the occasional RF does get some shell rot, it occurs on the plastron, not the carapace.

Your tortoise is being housed too dry. That is why there are deep notches between the scutes. I think what you are seeing is hardware stains that come from letting well water or tap water evaporate off of your tortoise. The water evaporates, but the mineral stay behind on the shell and give it that gray look. Use tap or well water for soaking and drinking, but rinse the tortoise with water that has no minerals in it after the soaks. Distilled water, collected rain water, or reverse osmosis water will all work.

Check this out and look for the temperate species care sheet ear the bottom for all the correct care info: