Eating Behaviour

Craig Bowen

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Just wanted to know my 1 year old when he is out of table and wandering around house or conservatory he will non stop eat food from his bowl or floor however in his table he rarely eats. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have that because my torts are not allowed to roam the house as this is not a good thing to do. Very dangerous for the tort. They can eat things they shouldn't or get hurt. Seen it happen before with other members.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That sounds to me as if he's not happy in the table. Maybe it's too small?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Possibly feels stressed out in the enclosure, but free to roam and eat in the conservancy. Moving between a big large open space vs a small enclosure, mr torty just waits 'til his next free roaming adventure. Lots of info here on the Forum about the dangers of free roam tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should not be running loose on the floor. It is a disaster waiting to happen and many of them get sick, injured, impacted or dead because people do this. All of the people who do this are very careful, supervise closely, love their tortoise, and are positive that its safe… right up until the day they learn it isn't safe.

Don't be one of those people that have to learn the hard way at the expense of their tortoise. Your tortoise's enclosure needs to be large enough to meet all of his exercise needs.

What size table is he in? What size is the tortoise? How are you able to maintain temps and humidity in an open table for a baby? I'm not able to do that here, so I'm wondering what steps you've taken to make it happen over there.

Please don't take these things the wrong way. My only interest is in helping you and your tortoise to have many happy years together.