Eating enough

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I am not sure if Hatchback is eating enough. I have had him a week and the first few days he wasn't eating much compared to the lettuce I saw him eat at his old home. I had not been offering lettuce at all and someone on the forum suggest mixing the old food with new and chopping it up together to another member with the same issue. Now Hatch is eating, but I don't know if it is enough. Below is a photo. The mix is Mallow, grape leave and Hibiscus. I feed this same amount twice a day. He never finishes it, but does come close. I will pick up a terra cotta plant saucer to feed in tomorrow.

I see some bigger than usual pieces of grape leaves. His food is usually chopped finer than this.

uploadfromtaptalk1411338004483.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I think it must be the season, my russian is not eating as much as she did earlier this year. But he is still getting use to you too. They will not starve themselves. Just keep doing what your doing.

M

Maggie Cummings

you're doing fine, especially if he's leaving some. That means you are feeding him enough, but vary it some. Kale is really good for growing babies add some of that too...+

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
His meals are a little different everyday. I leave goat head in his enclosure as well. I will add some kale, but thought that kale and baby spinach should be something the get once in a while and not a staple. I will have to look at my food list again. I do not want to do any wrong to little Hatch

M

Maggie Cummings

I have one tortoise that has abscessed sinuses. He can't smell, so kale, which smells very strong is a staple for him. He's 4 yrs old and beautiful...kale is good for them.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use mulberry leaves as a staple, that and broad leaf plantain. My yard is full of both. I swich up secondary foods every week to add a good mix.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
lismar79 - I am in southern AZ and if there is Mulberry here I am not aware of it. Mulberry from a tree or anther type of plant altogether?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
He has been getting Hibiscus, grape leaves and Mallow daily. No Mulberry trees down here that I know of, but I will look online to see if I am wrong. Thanks for the tips. I am relieved to know he is eating enough