Eating rocks? Dirt

Dawn'sTooToo

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
TooToo (cause "she's" TooTooMuch) is a 2.5-3 year old Hermann's who I've had since surrendered at about 9 months old. I've followed the care sheet to my best effort - Variable weed, greens diet following the Tort table (LS tort food a bit during winter), Heat mid 60s at night, cool side 70-80 and warm side 80-90 with basking 90-100, humidity 60ish. Enclosure set up /size per care sheet recommendations. Soaking 4-5 times/week with constant water available to her. Overall a happy, healthy, active, inquisitive tort....But when she's out "foraging" she goes for pebbles --haven't seen her swallow one so may just be working her beak trim; does sporadically eat dirt (when she finds a patch she takes to) and once ate some dessicated feces (don't know of what animal). I read about the pebble eating last year here and have added MinerAll 4-5 times a week to fix any element missing but still with the pebbles. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for any guidance

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
All sounds great to me. I think minerall 4-5 times a week is a bit excessive ( 1 time a week should be plenty) a lil pebble here and there shouldnt do any damage as long as hes well hydrated. U could try to limit the pebbles in the enclosure if its excessive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TooToo (cause "she's" TooTooMuch) is a 2.5-3 year old Hermann's who I've had since surrendered at about 9 months old. I've followed the care sheet to my best effort - Variable weed, greens diet following the Tort table (LS tort food a bit during winter), Heat mid 60s at night, cool side 70-80 and warm side 80-90 with basking 90-100, humidity 60ish. Enclosure set up /size per care sheet recommendations. Soaking 4-5 times/week with constant water available to her. Overall a happy, healthy, active, inquisitive tort....But when she's out "foraging" she goes for pebbles --haven't seen her swallow one so may just be working her beak trim; does sporadically eat dirt (when she finds a patch she takes to) and once ate some dessicated feces (don't know of what animal). I read about the pebble eating last year here and have added MinerAll 4-5 times a week to fix any element missing but still with the pebbles. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks for any guidance
MinerAll 4-5 times a week is a good "loading" dose for a couple of weeks for a tortoise that has been fed mostly grocery store greens and is currently eating rocks. After that initial two weeks, once or twice a week should be sufficient.

Let's talk about what you are feeding. Can you give me an idea of what the diet looks like over the course of a week? You mentioned weeds and greens, but what weeds, how much, how many types, and what greens in what quantities? Are you adding any fiber? Mulberry or grape leaves? Rose of Sharon leaves?

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
MinerAll 4-5 times a week is a good "loading" dose for a couple of weeks for a tortoise that has been fed mostly grocery store greens and is currently eating rocks. After that initial two weeks, once or twice a week should be sufficient.

Let's talk about what you are feeding. Can you give me an idea of what the diet looks like over the course of a week? You mentioned weeds and greens, but what weeds, how much, how many types, and what greens in what quantities? Are you adding any fiber? Mulberry or grape leaves? Rose of Sharon leaves?
I offer mulberry leaves, cactus (won't eat except the flower), clover, narrow and broad leaf plantain, dandelion, rose of sharon (she eats the flowers but won't eat the leaves), snapdragon, mache, violets, grape leaves- - others I offer when I find when out walking. During winter the only weeds I could get were what I grew inside (plantain, clover, violets, mache) but still had dried mulberry leaves, cactus and added some of the low starch tort feed. Store bought greens vary: romaine, red/green leaf lettuce, endive (both veggie and greens), mustard, turnip, collard, radish/carrot tops, kale varieties, beet greens, herbs....I mix it up week to week (luckily what she of I don't eat of it I take to the torts at a rescue I volunteer with) and within the week - feed a pile about her size in morning and then refreshed in afternoon. How would I add fiber other than the weeds? The things she doesn't eat I continue to offer just in case she develops a taste for them.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
All sounds great to me. I think minerall 4-5 times a week is a bit excessive ( 1 time a week should be plenty) a lil pebble here and there shouldnt do any damage as long as hes well hydrated. U could try to limit the pebbles in the enclosure if its excessive.
the pebbles are not in enclosure --just when we're out for her to browse and she goes straight for them ;) Tom said same for the MinerAll - - I'll drop it down. Thanks!

EricW

Houston, TX
Have you tried zoomed grassland or mazzuri LS diet? You mention LS earlier but wasn't sure if you meant Mazzuri LS. My Hermann's really likes both of the above and helps add fiber. Especially in the spring when most food is very lush and full of water, it helps him regulate with higher fiber.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
Have you tried zoomed grassland or mazzuri LS diet? You mention LS earlier but wasn't sure if you meant Mazzuri LS. My Hermann's really likes both of the above and helps add fiber. Especially in the spring when most food is very lush and full of water, it helps him regulate with higher fiber.
She's been on Mazuri LS during winter as addition to the greens/weeds .. I don't typically feed during summer since I can find more weeds...should I continue it?

EricW

Houston, TX
She's been on Mazuri LS during winter as addition to the greens/weeds .. I don't typically feed during summer since I can find more weeds...should I continue it?
Personally I would. Mine pounds it in the spring but otherwise doesn't care much for it unless food is scarce. Spring growth is usually pretty lush and the higher water content needs more fiber to counteract. I read a few research papers that showed Hermann's eating grass in the spring, but essentially zero the rest of the year. Mine has no access to anything but weeds and Tortoise Supply Broadleaf seed mix right now. I throw in some Rose of Sharon flowers here and there and his stool are pretty soft with all the moisture. I provide LS or Grassland 3 days per week right now. As much as he wants those days. The rest he forages on his own.

Our spring is pretty much over now so I expect it to change and I will pick up on feeding optunia.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She has (and has had since I got her) cuttlebone in enclosure --never has touched it ? Appreciate your response
You can finely grater the cuttlebone and sprinkle or mix it with a favorite food, that may work - or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I offer mulberry leaves, cactus (won't eat except the flower), clover, narrow and broad leaf plantain, dandelion, rose of sharon (she eats the flowers but won't eat the leaves), snapdragon, mache, violets, grape leaves- - others I offer when I find when out walking. During winter the only weeds I could get were what I grew inside (plantain, clover, violets, mache) but still had dried mulberry leaves, cactus and added some of the low starch tort feed. Store bought greens vary: romaine, red/green leaf lettuce, endive (both veggie and greens), mustard, turnip, collard, radish/carrot tops, kale varieties, beet greens, herbs....I mix it up week to week (luckily what she of I don't eat of it I take to the torts at a rescue I volunteer with) and within the week - feed a pile about her size in morning and then refreshed in afternoon. How would I add fiber other than the weeds? The things she doesn't eat I continue to offer just in case she develops a taste for them.
That is an excellent variety. I am surpirsed you are having this issue.

Do you also supplement plain calcium once or twice a week, or just the MinerAll?

To add fiber, soak a ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow pellet, or soak a horse hay pellet and mix in. Start with just one small broken piece of a pellet at first and gradually work up to more as the tortoise gets used to it and accepts it. No tortoise I've ever raised likes either of those at first.

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
That is an excellent variety. I am surpirsed you are having this issue.

Do you also supplement plain calcium once or twice a week, or just the MinerAll?

To add fiber, soak a ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow pellet, or soak a horse hay pellet and mix in. Start with just one small broken piece of a pellet at first and gradually work up to more as the tortoise gets used to it and accepts it. No tortoise I've ever raised likes either of those at first.
I've had done plain Ca but changed to the Minerall after reading it could be other elements missing ...I'll drop the MinerAll down to 2 times/week and use plain Ca rest of time. I'll also try the Grassland (Eric mentioned it too)...I know with the other torts I work with (at rescue) the only one that eats hay regularly is the Sulcata and it took him time to get used to the pellets too. I've really tried to give her all she needs by following the Forum recommendations so maybe she is just using the rocks for beak trim..Thanks so much for the advise

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had done plain Ca but changed to the Minerall after reading it could be other elements missing ...I'll drop the MinerAll down to 2 times/week and use plain Ca rest of time. I'll also try the Grassland (Eric mentioned it too)...I know with the other torts I work with (at rescue) the only one that eats hay regularly is the Sulcata and it took him time to get used to the pellets too. I've really tried to give her all she needs by following the Forum recommendations so maybe she is just using the rocks for beak trim..Thanks so much for the advise
You are doing a great job!

I think when they are getting an excellent varied diet, like what you are providing, they don't need a whole lot of supplementation. In your case a tiny pinch of calcium mixed in with the greens once or twice a week is all that is needed, and you could probably skip it entirely with no ill effect. MinerAll is not usually needed, but recommended if the rock eating behavior seems to be a problem for an individual tortoise. The MinerAll can help restore balance for people who are feeding mostly grocery store foods out of necessity or any other reason. YOUR tortoise doesn't have an imbalance because you are doing such an excellent job of caring for it and providing great foods.

I think this may be a case of too much of a good thing. Some tortoises need a fair amount of supplementation to make up for seasonal dietary deficiencies or other dietary shortcomings. Your tortoise doesn't have that problem because you provide all the right foods. Please keep us posted on how it goes with less supplementation for your tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She has (and has had since I got her) cuttlebone in enclosure --never has touched it ? Appreciate your response
They can be very strange about the cuttlebone. I throw away more (because it gets fouled) than gets eaten.
They can go weeks. Even months without a nibble. Then eat 2 or 3 in one day.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They can be very strange about the cuttlebone. I throw away more (because it gets fouled) than gets eaten.
They can go weeks. Even months without a nibble. Then eat 2 or 3 in one day.
Exactly the same for me! Lays there unused or fouled, then suddenly you can see beak marks on the cuttlefish. Good to provide even for enrichment.