Eating substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today I have switch from aspen to zilla jungle mix that I had laying around and felt that aspen is too dry. My greek actually ate a bit and biting around on these bedding should I just leave her be or worry about it? Thanks.

S

stells

You will find that when you put something/anything new into the enclosure they will have a taste.... you never know... it might just be food... so they have to try... i wouldn't worry unless it gets excessive...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Kelly, I've had some instances where a newly acquired tortoise has taked a few bites of a substrate material. I can only assume that it apparently had not been exposed to that material before. They are usually attracted to food by sight and smell first. Some tortoises seem to be like small children, they have to put everything in their mouth at least once to try it. If it tastes good they keep eating it, if it doesn't they spit it out. As long as they don't keep swallowing it!

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
lol, My tort has nibbled on everything at least once. Hides, rocks, food plate, water dish, and substrate.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
haha! well she is done now and she is back to her ways. I also added a kaytee brand timthoy hay (spelling?) but you know what i mean :) anyway I added hay and stuff it in her hide and i'm sure those hay are safe? I seen some of you added these to their hides so I did that. Thanks

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
I have a plywood house in my enclosure with a hindged top. Anyway, I crumple up newspaper in the house. They seem to like to sleep buried in the paper. I think that it provides them with a place to hide and some measure of insulation. An added bonus, it's cheap. Just don't put in the classified ads, they may buy things that you may not want them to have, or hook up with some undesirable tort in the personals section!
Good Luck!
John and Joanie

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
derekdehaas said:
haha! well she is done now and she is back to her ways. I also added a kaytee brand timthoy hay (spelling?) but you know what i mean :) anyway I added hay and stuff it in her hide and i'm sure those hay are safe? I seen some of you added these to their hides so I did that. Thanks
Hay if perfectly fine (and edible) as long as you keep it dry. Hay that is wet without exposure to air flow will usually produce mold. That's not to say that it cannot get some water on it or be misted. That's fine as long as the hay can dry.

derekdehaas

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I already knew not to moisten the hay or aspen and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.