Eating the substrate

Torta-geddon

Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo, Co
I don't think it should be a problem, my little guy ate a little when I first got him. He used to get a little stuck to his feet and walk on his food. If you add a layer of orchid bark on top of the coco coir it doesn't seem to get stuck to them as much.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I don't think it should be a problem, my little guy ate a little when I first got him. He used to get a little stuck to his feet and walk on his food. If you add a layer of orchid bark on top of the coco coir it doesn't seem to get stuck to them as much.
Yeah that's what I have as the enclosure's substrate.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
But you know, they like burrowing so some of the coir getting stuck on their body is pretty much inevitable.

Torta-geddon

Pueblo, Co
Yeah mine has gotten into the habit of digging every chance he gets. I always give him a soak before he eats. It gives me time to pick out any leftovers from his last meal and he seems to love being in the warm water, probably because he knows more food is coming. My daughter also loves when he's soaking since she loves talking to him while he's in the water