Eazy - the Texas Tortoise intro

brigcampbell

Location (City and/or State)
California SoCal
Hey, first post.

I now I have a 24-year-old Texas tortoise and his name is Eazy.

He had a tough upbringing because he was raised as a turtle and was a complete mess. He has very large pyramids because of the situation.

And he decided that he really liked pebbles and filled himself up.

A veterinary nurse rescued him and tube fed him for a year. That was almost 20 years ago. She now is moving to Montana and through a mutual acquaintance I ended up taking him.

I've been reading tons about tortoises. LOL.

Eazy is a wildly social tortoise. He loves people and animals.

I'm trying not to freak out when he doesn't eat or doesn't come out of his dog house because the weather's not above 70°

I built him a nice turtle town and I kept his dog house that he loved so much.

I'll post some pictures

brigcampbell

California SoCal
He's not eating as much as I'd like but I understand that moving from a home he lived in for 17 years to a brand new environment can be a little stressful.

We're both a little stressed!

Hopefully, when we get out of June gloom and we get a good streak of warm weather he'll feel better.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. @Yvonne G should be able to give you pointers. May I suggest getting rid of the rocks and maybe put down some slate tiles or just grass.

brigcampbell

California SoCal
Thanks, I just put the rock in. LOL

I needed something big enough he wouldn't eat. I'll attach a picture of his X-ray when he was younger filled with pebbles.

So I have half grass and the other have larger stones with some slate prices. Are the rocks back for him? He doesn't seem to mind walking around on them but what do I know.20240617_152158.jpgIMG_20240613_145953.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I personally wouldn't risk the rock and they look like they have sharp edges which can hurt their feet. My opinion I am not an expert. Also check the tortoise table to make sure your plants in the enclosure are safe for the tortoise.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Tom will help you with a better heated box.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully Yvonne and Tom can advise you further for the care on this guy, a heated box hide is definitely a good idea!

Off the bat regarding the stones, believe it or not because I know for the most part they’re too big, some in there still do look like they could be a potential swallowing/choking hazard, I would generally advise against using any kind of stone cobbles like this, they’re a risk not worth taking. I’d switch it out for grass personally. Speaking of grass, that is real what you’ve put down?🙂I only ask because they can try to eat the faux stuff which will cause problems

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks, I just put the rock in. LOL

I needed something big enough he wouldn't eat. I'll attach a picture of his X-ray when he was younger filled with pebbles.

So I have half grass and the other have larger stones with some slate prices. Are the rocks back for him? He doesn't seem to mind walking around on them but what do I know.View attachment 372309View attachment 372310
That's horrific!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Maybe even get some large stone garden slabs for some of it if you don’t want the entire thing grass😊if they’re in a spot with direct sunlight for long periods, I’d check with a temp gun that they aren’t getting too hot👍

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with removing the stones. They are ruff on his shell and could cause damage. Also because he has no problem eating stones from his past, why rusk it.
It does need a heated house. The dog house is not warm enough and can't be kept warm enough. You could build a proper night box, @Tom has a thread on how to build them and put his dog house in it

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I have a IR gun, used it when I gave him a warm soak.

Here's a list of his recent brumation dates.

View attachment 372311

Dude can sleep!
Good good, they always come in handy👍
lol love the little tortoise sticker next to his dates!😂
Hopefully you can start building him a nice heated box, I see if I can find the thread wellington is on about, I’ve seen it myself before🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think this is the right one but I’m sure the others will correct me if I’m wrong, obviously your one guy won’t need something as big but hopefully the design can inspire you🙂

brigcampbell

California SoCal
Thanks, I read that thread not knowing that I actually needed to build one.

As a reference, Eazy lived in Irvine, CA about 10 miles from me. Identical weather.

He's never had a heated box, I asked when I picked him up last Sunday after reading stuff here. Just his dog house and so I took that with me.

I guess I'll need to spend some brain cycles on a solution that includes a tortoise heat pad.

All construction projects require sign off from the warden for aesthetics.