Echo rolled onto her back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
I have Echo in a central place in our house so I can constantly check on her like an obsessed new mom, well today I checked in on her then went to the store, I was gone about 25 minutes and when I came home I found her kicking on her back.
I found some watery stool near her as well as solids, I dunno why it would be watery all of a sudden and if this is related to her rolling over (panic etc)
I righted her of course after clearing the space in lightening speed and have put her outside in her enclosure there which she is more fond of, right now she's walking around and seems okay.
My question is how worried should I be? Before I caught her straight away this time I don't know how long it was.
She has had some clear bubbles from her nose here and there and now this watery stool, no change in diet, soaks etc

She's been really trying to climb the heck out of her indoor habitat so that's something I need to yet again re-design/think over some safer climbing for her.
Thank you guys so much, we lost a 4 hour old kitten yesterday and now Echo upside down, I think it's time for mom to have a beer and relax, it's only 1:45pm you say? Rats! :tort:

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I wouldn't be worried at all. Tortoises fall on their backs all the time and sometimes it discombobulates them a little bit.

My redfoots often get bubbles when they've been in the water or drinking/eating watery food. It's just because of the way everything is connected in there. If Echo is getting bubbles at other times, I would pay closer attention to him; it may be a sign of upper RI. However, if the bubbles just started today after he flipped himself, I wouldn't worry. Just pay close attention to him for a few days.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I would just make sure that what ever it is that she is climbing and flip'd herself over with is removed so that it cant happen anymore. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Don't worry! My poor Tyrone flipped over and was on his back for awhile. When we went out, because when son came home he wasn't moving and was afraid we lost him. He turned out ok and I am sure since yours was still kicking, will be fine too. I soaked him in warm water right away and offered fresh strawberries, his favorite treat and he ate a few bites and went into his hide.

He was back to normal the next day! They are sturdy little things aren't they!

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Very normal. Only thing I would be concerned about is obstacles around the heat source or water. We have had a few accidents here on TFO where little babies flipped under a bask bulb and were killed by the heat. Same goes for water, make sure there is no way for drowning. Otherwise, smooth out the edges, and make ramps and pathways packed with topsoil. Nice and safe, nothing too high or crazy. I prefer to make tunnels they can crawl though, not on.
Everything stated is just IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.