Eco earth advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Hi do any of you use eco earth? I just found 5 lbs of this stuff and i am wondering what you guys think. I have a redfoot and im hoping this would increase humidity levels.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I use eco earth it is the same as Bed-a-Beast and I use it for almost all of my indoor enclosures. I mix mine with some sand, because I think it holds moisture better that way. If you get it too wet, it dries fairly quickly which is nice. Of course that also means you will need to watch, that it doesn't dry out in the enclosure.:cool: Easy to know when it gets dry, as the color changes.:D I like it because it's handy to get those little bricks, my tortoises love to bury themselves in it, I like that it is soft with nothing to poke the tortoises, and it holds up well under use.:tort:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Some mix it with sand...some with Cyprus mulch! I use it straight and soak the hell out of it every 3 days...since I soak the youngsters in the morning and late-afternoon...it NEVER needs changing (they usually just poop in the water)! Let is soak in a tub for half-an-hour then drain it and line your habitat with a couple of inches. Set up your heat and lamps and you're in like Flint! And don't forget to add water every few days!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I use that, its cocnut eco earth right?
Works Great!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, that's a good substrate to have and does well with holding in the humidity. I used to use it and now I use the Premier Spaghnum Peat moss, but that tends to stain their skin a little darker adn the Eco Earth/Bed-A-Beast does not.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Ok great i will use it this weekend. I was worried the eco earth will get into the torts eyes at first. I plan on mixing it with sphagnum mOss and orchid bark chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.