Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes it is. That is what I'm using for all my russian babies right now.

angiemoth

5 Year Member
What is eco earth?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Eco earth is the brand name (also Bed a Beast) for what we generally refer to as coco coir. I use it myself but mix it at 50:50 ratio with a plain topsoil. Works great for Russian hatchlings.

angiemoth

5 Year Member
Ok thanks- i haven't been able to find any of this locally yet so may have to order it online.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Where are you? A plain topsoil with no added fertilizer, perlite or vermiculite is also a good choice. Mix that with plain, clean dirt from your yard and you will have a perfectly acceptable substrate.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Ecco earth & play sand is a good mix. I add a little finished compost to it, too.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I don't recommend using play sand as it can cause impaction if ingested. Just my thoughts on it.

Sent from my junk cell phone... D2G

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
johnsonnboswell said:
Ecco earth & play sand is a good mix. I add a little finished compost to it, too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I agree with Cemmons here. Sand is a potential impaction risk and skin and eye irritant. I won;t use it all all with any species. Seen too many sand impaction X-rays at too many vet offices.

Also, I don't think adding all that composted organic material is a good idea for an indoor enclosure either.

angiemoth said:
Ok thanks- i haven't been able to find any of this locally yet so may have to order it online.

You can buy it in bulk from some garden stores in big blocks for a fraction of the pet store price. I just paid $12 and it was enough to do two 100 gallon tanks and a 135.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Hey Tom, is the stuff your buying in bulk fine like the coco coir bricks? I did buy a bag of stuff from big lots this spring and it was big chunks like mulch, which neither Cooper nor Ophelia like to walk in at all. So I had to throw it all out and went to the pet store and got 6 new bricks. Thanks Tom! :)

Sent from my junk cell phone... D2G

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I get the big huge block of compressed coconut coir at the garden center. Aside from the small downside that it hatched a bunch of tiny flies, it was awesome, and enough to fill 2 large tortoise tables.
The smaller bricks at Petco or Petsmart work fine, too... you just end up spending a little more.

When the time comes to throw out the substrate, I just throw it in the compost, or even directly onto my flower beds. It makes great mulch!

I've tried adding the sand (when people say to make a 50:50 mix, they mean by dry weight, btw, so that ends up being about 1 cup of sand for 2 bricks of coco coir). I didn't find it to improve texture or moisture enough to warrant the danger of impaction.

I have tried many different brands of top soil (and have encountered flies, smells, and other horrid things), and finally have decided that I like the ACE Hardware brand top soil best. It has no yucky stuff added, and it's cheap. I have it in 2 of my tortoise enclosures (for my redfoot, and in part of my baby Marginated's enclosure). For the Russian torts' tables I use coconut coir (hoping for a few more weeks of outdoor time for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.