Edible? Safe?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I was wondering if the flower or grass part of this plants are edible? And if anybody knew what it's called.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428531923.130462.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi leigti, It looks like the blue bell in which case TTT says are not safe, I have them in my garden (but slightly different variety) so checked recently. They are a type of hyacinth. Maybe if you google pics of bluebells and see if they match you'll find out for sure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi leigti, It looks like the blue bell in which case TTT says are not safe, I have them in my garden (but slightly different variety) so checked recently. They are a type of hyacinth. Maybe if you google pics of bluebells and see if they match you'll find out for sure.
Thanks. Darn it, it figures I have about 1 million of them in my backyard right now. Oh well. I can't really see well enough to be able to distinguish types of plants. So that's why I ask here or send it to the garden compass.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I only know really common plants but since having a tort and being worried I'll poison him I've even doubted that! I have bought myself a couple of plant ID books but it is so hard to tell from the little photos or drawings in them. Unfortunately for my tort I only stick to the plants I know for sure which doesn't give him a very broad diet but I think its better to be safe than sorry until I am more confident.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I only know really common plants but since having a tort and being worried I'll poison him I've even doubted that! I have bought myself a couple of plant ID books but it is so hard to tell from the little photos or drawings in them. Unfortunately for my tort I only stick to the plants I know for sure which doesn't give him a very broad diet but I think its better to be safe than sorry until I am more confident.
I can't tell anything from pictures and books. Have you tried the garden compass app? It is great. You just take a picture and send it to them by email and they send it back in about 24 hours with the name of the plant. I've only sent them one that they could not identify.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No I haven't, but I will now. Sounds like a very useful app to have Thanks for that.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
No I haven't, but I will now. Sounds like a very useful app to have Thanks for that.
Garden compass app is an app from the people of ortho. Naturally, they'd like for you to buy some poison or chemical fertilizer from them, but they've always answered me quickly with a disclaimer saying they don't know if tortoises can eat it or not. I provide them with where I live, if the plant is in sunny or shade and then naturally I let them know why I want to know.
With the id made, I take that information to the tortoise table website to see what they recommend as far as tortoise food goes.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've never heard of them but yes you're right Lismar79! They are similar to a bluebell and both are types of hyacinth so still not safe leigti

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Cowboy Ken, the Tortoise Table is a favourite of mine too,

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When I was a child, my tortoise, Speedy, ate some of these grape hyacinths in our garden and had terrible diarrhoea for a few days.
Not good.

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Yikes these have been in Sparkys pen for Ten years,haven't had an issue yet. I'm moving them out today!! (Redfoot)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
The plant is "grape hyacinth" - Muscari - is considered edible by humans. It is not the same as Hyacinthus, which is toxic. I would take Tidgy's Dad's experience as more relevant, and perhaps not offer it.