Egg shells for yearlings

Riley ann

Location (City and/or State)
chino
Ive been trying to get less grocery store food and grow different varieties of food.I have a clutch of 11 hatching and I usually box brood them with their egg shells. They don’t finish the egg shells and I have some leopards that hatched around September 10th. I know you can feed them egg shells for calcium but can I feed them tortoise egg shells? Just curious maybe it provides enrichment like when a mother cow has a calf and the first milk she makes has a lot of growth hormones the calf benefits from. Maybe tortoise egg shells are better for their health????

TortoiseRacket

New York
I don’t see why not, but I am no expert on egg shells. I just use zoo meds calcium powder for mine. Hope that helped!
-Mickey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I also use the Zoo Med calcium. It's calcium carbonate. But I occasionally give some species of my tortoises chicken egg shells. I see no reason why you can't feed tortoise egg shells too. Tom says the hatching babies feed on the shells in the nest.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I also use the Zoo Med calcium. It's calcium carbonate. But I occasionally give some species of my tortoises chicken egg shells. I see no reason why you can't feed tortoise egg shells too. Tom says the hatching babies feed on the shells in the nest.

Why do you use Zoo Med when you have so many torts . And you can buy food grade calcium carbonate on the Internet for less than $1.00 per oz ? Yes you pay for 10 lbs .

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Why do you use Zoo Med when you have so many torts . And you can buy food grade calcium carbonate on the Internet for less than $1.00 per oz ? Yes you pay for 10 lbs .
This is interesting. I got some Repti calcium by Zoo Med from the zookeeper here as a gift and I have been using it for my torts and iguanas, and I notice it says that it's strictly for Reptiles. I wonder why? What if I started eating it myself? Why only reptiles? Or is that a sales gimmick?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Because what’s good for reptiles doesn’t mean it’s good for humans. But if good for humans it can be good for reptiles .[emoji33]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
This is interesting. I got some Repti calcium by Zoo Med from the zookeeper here as a gift and I have been using it for my torts and iguanas, and I notice it says that it's strictly for Reptiles. I wonder why? What if I started eating it myself? Why only reptiles? Or is that a sales gimmick?
May you will turn into a reptile by eating it!!! :)