Eggs

Yurtle

5 Year Member
One of my female box turtle just layed around 7 eggs, she layed them out side, in a nest, they're kinda piled on top of each other. Is this a problem? One also burst as she was laying them, do I take this one out? I've done little reading on box turtle incubation and egg laying since this was extremely unexpected, to my understanding I should leave the eggs in the cage outside and just place a protective mesh cage one them?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
i think some people incubate them inside, but i have never dealt with this, so i am unsure. But if you decide to move them, you need to carefully mark the very top of each egg to keep it in the proper position.

Congrats, and good Luck!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Congrats on the eggs!! Everyone has different thoughts on this, so I will just tell you what I did with success. I'm not telling you what to do one way or the other. I caught one of mine last year right after she laid them, dug them up and put them a small Tupperware bowl and placed them in one of my inside enclosures that stays around 82 with good humidity , somewhere around 60 days they hatched.

Good luck!