My tortoise layed eggs. Help

michelerad

My Russian Tortoise layed two eggs. This was totally unexpected. One of them looks cracked and I can see a yolk like substance. Is this egg "no good". Should I take it out of the cage. I don't know what to do to help the other egg. Any advice? Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, take both eggs out of the enclosure. Do not turn them, make sure the top uf the egg stays the top. The cracked one throw away, too deeply cracked. Set up an incubator with vermiculite, heat, humidity and now because I'm new at incubating eggs myself, the rest will have to come from someone else. @Tom should be able to help
If this is the first time laying, the egg may not be fertile. However, if your tort was not purchased from a breeder and it is wild caught like the pet stores sell, and is more available, it could be fertile as they can carry sperm for a few years.
Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here are three ladies that have successfully incubated many russian eggs. Better you get tips for this species directly from them:

@kanalomele
@Carol S
@biochemnerd808

Here is a thread I did on raising babies in general. One big difference is that many people incubate russian eggs on dry media. Wetting the media as described in this thread might swell and crack your remaining egg. All the other info for starting babies and what not still applies.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/