Ekk! Help with pest control!

Dkozi7

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have kept reptiles for over 20 years and never had a problem with roaches before so I'm a little freaked out. My leopard tortoise enclosure has what appears to be German roaches babies. I am seeking recommendations how to get rid of these. First I don't want to remove the bedding and have them scatter about the house but also know eggs will be left behind. Is prevent a mite safe or even work? DE? I want to be rid of them for good but safley. Any suggestions???

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there some way that you can pick up the enclosure and take it outside? If not, here's what I suggest. Get a box of baking soda and sprinkle it all around the perimeter of the enclosure. When roaches eat it they die. You won't have a problem with roaches anymore. It's safe, but I wouldn't let the torts see it so that they don't eat it. Bury it under the substrate.

Dkozi7

Georgia
We just did that but worried about stragglers and eggs. Can we treat the enclosure with anything ?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
It might be a task, but could you vacuum out the substrate so it all is contained in one spot? We don't have roaches up here so I'm not really sure what to do about them.

Dkozi7

Georgia
All the substrate is gone and the enclosure is in a shed until we can figure out how to treat it. The Leos are in a temp, less ideal enclosure until I can figure out how to treat it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
All the substrate is gone and the enclosure is in a shed until we can figure out how to treat it. The Leos are in a temp, less ideal enclosure until I can figure out how to treat it.
How large is the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you get a pic of the offending insect? Do you have adult german roaches running around?

Dkozi7

Georgia
The enclosure is 6 ft by 3 1/2 ft and made out of a book shelf with a shower curtain lining (ripped out now) under the bedding. I don't have a picture but all the bugs I saw were small.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The enclosure is 6 ft by 3 1/2 ft and made out of a book shelf with a shower curtain lining (ripped out now) under the bedding. I don't have a picture but all the bugs I saw were small.

I hope you didn't go through all of that trouble over some simple springtails or similar bug. That's probably why Tom wanted to confirm the pest ID...
Unless you see adult German roaches, I would not suggest you were infested with their young ones.

Next time, try to photograph or video the pest and confirm the ID before determining treatment. Could save you time and money.

I've used DE as an outdoor pest deterrent, I'm sure it could help indoors too.

Dkozi7

Georgia
I'm about 99 percent sure they were German roaches but weren't as big as I imagined an adult would be. Can you use de under the bedding?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looses it's efficacy when wet.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is the enclosure somewhat in your house, garage, patio? Bc, if it is, and you saw its babies, it's possible you have adults in the house, garage, patio. And, just because you don't see adults in the house, doesn't mean there aren't any. I may consider putting that baking soda in areas where you think they can hide (water sources, warm areas like stove, and under kitchen cabinets. Sorry.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One thing to note, is that while many people find roaches unpleasant, they are not harmful in any way to your tortoises. They are harmless detrivores just like the springtails, substrate flies and silverfish you might also see.

Do you see little brown egg cases like these laying around:
cockroach-egg-casing.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, What color are the insects you've seen and approx how many millimeters were they in total length?

Dkozi7

Georgia
They ranged from about a quarter of an inch up to 1/2 inch and were brown. Moved very quickly like a roach. The enclosure was in the house. I wonder if they came from the cypress mulch bedding or spagnum moss. Anyone recommend another humidity holding substrate?

Dkozi7

Georgia
I haven't seen any eggs like that but haven't looked really good. I had already dumped out the substrate before your picture Tom. How big are they?

M

Maggie Cummings

I've used orchid bark for my enclosures in the house and I've only ever had springtails. They are not harmful. Every so often I pour boiling water all over the substrate to kill whatever bugs are there. Are you sure they aren't just springtails?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

If you see another one, take your own photo. People often have a hard time iding insects. You may indeed have German cockroaches, like the above photo, but it's possible it was something else too. Having cockroaches appear in an indoor enclosure without having seen them in your home is rather surprising, but I suppose not impossible. Most invertebrates that arrive with substrate are harmless and even potentially beneficial. I understand the aversion though. Baking substrate is one good way to kill eggs, but I find hard to do in the quantity I require.