Pest control for yard

Burgesj

Location (City and/or State)
Riverview
Our yard and house are very buggy. It's to the point that we can't sit outside and enjoy the yard without being harassed by insects. We've been thinking about having our yard treated quarterly by a professional pest control company. They say it's safe for my sulcata one it has dried. They would only be spraying the perimeter of the house and fence line. Has anyone had experience with this? My top priority is the safety and health of my tortoise. I don't want to do anything to put him at risk.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Our yard and house are very buggy. It's to the point that we can't sit outside and enjoy the yard without being harassed by insects. We've been thinking about having our yard treated quarterly by a professional pest control company. They say it's safe for my sulcata one it has dried. They would only be spraying the perimeter of the house and fence line. Has anyone had experience with this? My top priority is the safety and health of my tortoise. I don't want to do anything to put him at risk.
The chemicals are touted as pet safe, but that just means house pets. It's not meant to be ingested.

If you look up natural pesticides that can be used around chickens, you'll find a lot of ideas (since chickens are much more common than tortoises). Food-grade diatomaceous earth is heavily praised as a repellent.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Safe to touch (still dubious - touch casually? or sit on it and drag along all day long...) is not the same as safe to eat. Reptiles are incredibly sensitive to insecticidal chemicals.

What specific types of insects are the problem?

Burgesj

Riverview
The chemicals are touted as pet safe, but that just means house pets. It's not meant to be ingested.

If you look up natural pesticides that can be used around chickens, you'll find a lot of ideas (since chickens are much more common than tortoises). Food-grade diatomaceous earth is heavily praised as a repellent.
Thank you! I will look into that.