Elsa's Summer digs (pics)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
This is a work in progress, and has been for over a year. We started with her "house" which is an 8 x 10 ft shed, but with 1/2 inch wire mesh ("hardware cloth") for the walls and roof. The wire mesh extends 4 inches into the ground and the door has a high latch and a low latch. She has plastic tub for a hide and has asparagus fern, Boston fern and hostas as well as weeds and grass. She has 2 terracotta water dishes and a concrete slab for her food dish.

The cinderblock wall around her house is new this year. I have her blocked into the right (eastern) half right now. The plants there are asparagus fern, Mexican zinnia, Boston fern, spider plant, coleus, hosta, Wandering Jew and an aloe. The big wooden thing is a pallet that the big concrete tortoise came on, but Elsa loves to hide under it, so we left it. We have it tilted at a pretty steep angle- since she's a Herman's I don't think she can get out. There's a big terracotta water dish and a flower pot hide in the back although she prefers to hide under plants.

The left (western) side is incomplete and she can't get in there. So far it has Mexican zinnia, petunias, purple fountain grass, a low growing rose and and an ice plant.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Looks like Elsa is one very happy tortoise! Great job!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks so much! :) I forgot to add that the area enclosed by the cinderblocks is about 18 x 20 feet.

muu

What a lucky girl. Looks like she's got tort paradise. Makes me wished I lived in a country that my little guy could live outside. Unfortunately Scotland's weather doesn't cater for Redfoots.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Great project!!!
You know you can plant a lots of things inside those blocks!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
DobbyRed, I had initially planned to plant a lot of things in those holes, but found out from the Garden Forum that it really doesn't work, for 3 reasons:
1) the fresh concrete in the new cinderblock is highly ALKALINE and the alkalinity burns the tender roots, killing the plants.:(
2) The cinderblocks are very PORUS and suck out all the water almost immediately. One guy said that he watered his plants THREE TIMES A DAY, and the dirt was still always bone dry. :(
3) The sun heats up the concrete big time, which further stresses the plants. :(

I'll be putting more plants in her enclosure over time- just want to see how these work out for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! I love it.

I would like to see a second row of blocks though. I think she could climb out if she were really determined.

Interesting about not growing being able to grow anything in the holes in the blocks. I have to constantly pull the weeds out of my block holes. Gophers push dirt into the holes, the sprinklers water it, weeds send their roots right through the holes and into the dirt underneath. Nobody ever told my weeds and native grasses that they could not live in the cinderblock holes. I like some of those weeds, so I hope they don't find out. :p

I'll bet in your climate it would work even better than mine.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yeah, we're planning a second row pretty soon. Thanks Tom!
Interesting to hear that you ARE able to grow things in your cinderblocks...:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I also have all kinds of things planted in my cinder blocks. Everything is growing in well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, we're planning a second row pretty soon. Thanks Tom!
Interesting to hear that you ARE able to grow things in your cinderblocks...:)

I don't think I could stop things from growing in there if I tried.

I looked at your pics again. Very nice. Truly inspiring.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, that is really fabulous. You have the safe shed, and then a run for daytime. So well done.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thank you all for your kind replies! If Elsa's enclosure has turned out well, it is because of the experienced and friendly people on this forum who showed me the way. I knew NOTHING about tortoises 2 years ago!!
:D