EMERGENCY - CAN'T WALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Our beloved 7 month old "Strawberry" suddenly can't walk! It's almost like she has no strength. All her feet can move, but for some reason it's like her front legs can't hold her up. We've been very diligent in letting her walk around outside, and she has a large habitat she usually toodles around in. This just came suddenly. HELP HELP HELP

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry. Have you checked her legs/feet for any injury? otherwise All I can tell you is take her to a vet. Good luck. Hope all turns out okay. Hopefully others will have some helpful answers.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
wellington said:
So sorry. Have you checked her legs/feet for any injury? otherwise All I can tell you is take her to a vet. Good luck. Hope all turns out okay. Hopefully others will have some helpful answers.

Yes, we checked - no injury. Thank you for your concern.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Do you have a MVB?? I have read they need nutrients from the light or this can happen

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Oh no! I am so sorry
to hear this! I only wish
I could help you!! I hope
you get a reply that is helpful
soon! Good luck!

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
immayo said:
Do you have a MVB?? I have read they need nutrients from the light or this can happen
I don't - we have a UVB bulb though. Are you suggesting the MVB is better?

SaveTheTortoise said:
Don't worry, she is probably just fine. She might just be acting lazy. Give it a day or two.

What's worrying me is that she's trying to walk, pulls herself up for a second then falls face first.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Redfoot Micah said:
immayo said:

The kind you have is fine. The mvb is said to give out the most UVB. However, some species the tube type flourescent is better because of how bright the mvb is.

What is she doing that you think she can't walk? If you pick her up and put her back down on her feet, can and will she stand? or does she just instantly lay?

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I also noticed today she won't drink or eat anything. Now I know they don't necessarily eat every day but not to drink? Soo worried!

wellington said:
Redfoot Micah said:
immayo said:

The kind you have is fine. The mvb is said to give out the most UVB. However, some species the tube type flourescent is better because of how bright the mvb is.

What is she doing that you think she can't walk? If you pick her up and put her back down on her feet, can and will she stand? or does she just instantly lay?

When I pick her up & put her back down, it's like she takes a step then falls on her face and when she tries to get back up she just falls. She'll try step, and once fell to the side...I'd "liken" it to drunk - all legs work, but NO coordination and keeps falling on her face. And she almost acts panicy. When I left her to try walk, it's like she'd drag her front and just shimmy.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Don't worry about the lighting right now.
Keep the temps at 80F through out the whole enclosure and the humidity up too, also make the room nice and quiet. Tortoises have good hearing, let her get a good long rest.

This is why good husbandry is really important so when ever our tortoise is not feeling well, their body's will fight it off.

Think warm, moist and meaty, not dry, cold and not fed well.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
luvpetz27 said:
Oh no! I am so sorry
to hear this! I only wish
I could help you!! I hope
you get a reply that is helpful
soon! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your concern...I hope so too. I almost wanted to take her to my room with me tonight...like when my kiddos are not well ;)

SaveTheTortoise said:
Don't worry about the lighting right now.
Keep the temps at 80F through out the whole enclosure and the humidity up too, also make the room nice and quiet. Tortoises have good hearing, let her get a good long rest.

This is why good husbandry is really important so when ever our tortoise is not feeling well, their body's will fight it off.

Think warm, moist and meaty, not dry, cold and not fed well.

I have her in sphagnum moss that I mist often - I'll keep her heat emitter at 80. Thank you.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Please, please, please take her to the vet as soon as possible. There are some very bad things that can cause these symptoms. It is probably nothing that bad, but you really should get someone with experience or training looking at it ASAP.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
We're doing our very best to get her to one. Can you give me more details about what you're thinking the bad things can be? Today she just sits with her eyes open and doesn't move. When I put her in water, she just puts her head in it but I can tell she isn't drinking but just keeping her head in it so that scared me and I pulled her out, and just put her back in the moss...and she just sits there.

Madkins007 said:
Please, please, please take her to the vet as soon as possible. There are some very bad things that can cause these symptoms. It is probably nothing that bad, but you really should get someone with experience or training looking at it ASAP.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
you need to take that tort to a vet today...this is an emergency! Try to look up vets who treats torts, and tell him/her what's happening. There's a list of vets and their contact numbers on this forum. I suggest to look up ones in your area. Even if you have to drive a few hours to get to him, it's worth it to find out what can be done.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
We're on our way to one now - thanks for the encouragement. I'll post the outcome when we get back.

sibi said:
you need to take that tort to a vet today...this is an emergency! Try to look up vets who treats torts, and tell him/her what's happening. There's a list of vets and their contact numbers on this forum. I suggest to look up ones in your area. Even if you have to drive a few hours to get to him, it's worth it to find out what can be done.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Personally, I would take her to a reptile vet today. I would not try to manage it, as we don't know what is wrong.
Please let us know.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Redfoot Micah said:
We're on our way to one now - thanks for the encouragement. I'll post the outcome when we get back.

Sending you positive thoughts! Let us know how he's doing

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am wondering if this is some sort of neurologic problem. Maybe something toxic the tort has eaten. Just a guess though. Please let us know what the vet said asap. Best of luck to you and your precious tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.