EMERGENCY - CAN'T WALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Ok here's the scoop...I know some of you knew about me discovering her soft bottom shell a couple weeks ago...and we've been doing our very best to up her calcium...well I guess the deficiency has just not gotten better, and she developed a respiratory infection. They gave her an antibiotic up her nose, and a shot of saline & electrolytes to help with her dehydration. She's still very non-responsive - they gave me a dropper to try getting water into her mouth. I am soo sad about this - we got her from a reptile breeder in Florida and am soo angry because they gave me terrible advice about her care. The vet is saying if they're not cared well for from day one they just have problems that are hard to overcome. She said she's a fighter, but it could go either way. Any more suggestions from you wonderful people????

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm so glad you took her to the vet. Hopefully she will recover nicely & live a healthy life with you. I don't have any medical advice but I would keep her warm, hydrated & well rested. Try not to bother her unless it's necessary.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Momof4 said:
I'm so glad you took her to the vet. Hopefully she will recover nicely & live a healthy life with you. I don't have any medical advice but I would keep her warm, hydrated & well rested. Try not to bother her unless it's necessary.

My concern is that she's not drinking at all...I'm hoping after what the vet did today, maybe tomorrow she'll drink a bit?!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is there anyway that you can administer water syringes? There's also the soaks with baby foods and electrolytes.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
DesertGrandma said:
I am wondering if this is some sort of neurologic problem. Maybe something toxic the tort has eaten. Just a guess though. Please let us know what the vet said asap. Best of luck to you and your precious tort.

Thank you for your concern - she is calcium deficient which then caused a respiratory infection. We noticed she was starting to have a soft shell a few weeks ago and upped her calcium but I hear it takes quite a while to reverse the problem.

sibi said:
Is there anyway that you can administer water syringes? There's also the soaks with baby foods and electrolytes.

What kinds of soaks with baby foods & electrolytes? The vet gave her some in a shot but if she makes it, we've got a long road of recovery.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Someone on the list suggests strained carrots in warm water.
That sounds like a good health soak to me and your tort may even drink some!
My thoughts are with you!

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Ok, I'll get baby food carrots and pedealite (someone else's suggestion) tomorrow.

kathyth said:
Someone on the list suggests strained carrots in warm water.
That sounds like a good health soak to me and your tort may even drink some!
My thoughts are with you!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Redfoot Micah said:
Ok, I'll get baby food carrots and pedealite (someone else's suggestion) tomorrow.

Sending healing thoughts and hugs! Ditto on the carrot soaks.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Just do as many baby food soaks and regular soaks you have time for. Keeping her warm and hydrated is pretty much all you can do. The baby food soaks will hopefully get some nutrients into her...

Something I wonder is why the vet linked it to a calcium deficiency? There is just about nothing a calcium deficiency can have to do with a respiratory infection, as far as I know. You were posting about a slightly soft shell, but thats usual in young tortoises. If any deficiency, I would guess one of Vitamin A. What was your diet like? Calcium just can't really have much to do with respiratory...They are two completely separate mechanisms. Has the tortoise been stressed? What have your temperatures been like? Stress and cold are your two major causes of RI...

Whatever it is, I hope she gets better :).

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Redfoot Micah said:
It's with a heavy heart I report that our beloved Strawberry passed away last night.

So, sorry to hear about this. I wish the outcome were different.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Redfoot Micah said:
It's with a heavy heart I report that our beloved Strawberry passed away last night.

I am so sorry for your loss... Heart felt hugs to you and your family. Just know you gave her the best life you could and even though she was here a short time, she loves you as well.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you all!!!! I'm just continually amazed & grateful for such caring people!!! We are hooked on these little "shelled warriors" (as one of you called them) - so we're doing more research, changing the habitat to be the "Strawberry Memorial House" for our new additions coming soon. Watch for my up-coming questions ;)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so sorry about Strawberry...my heart aches for your loss. I'm glad that you're going to get another one though. Research, research, and research so that you'll know everything about your new addition. And, what you don't know, you can always come here and get whatever info you need.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I am so sorry to hear about the events that took place with strawberry..I wished the outcome was better for the both of you.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Im so sorry for your loss. Im currently rehabilitating a redfoot over here and have had some scary days. I think this little girl is gonna pull through, but man they can tug at your heart! All the best with your new little ones.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Oh no! What is wrong with your little redfoot (if you don't mind me asking)? I sure hope she does pull through. Thank you so much for your care for our family's loss.
kanalomele said:
Im so sorry for your loss. Im currently rehabilitating a redfoot over here and have had some scary days. I think this little girl is gonna pull through, but man they can tug at your heart! All the best with your new little ones.

Thank you so much -we sure did too.

mainey34 said:
I am so sorry to hear about the events that took place with strawberry..I wished the outcome was better for the both of you.

Thank you! Yes I am!!! We sure are doing our research - we are quite angry about where we got her; they really set her off to a bad start, gave us bad advice which I'm convinced is what caused her sickness. By the time we figured it out and made the changes it was too late :(

sibi said:
I'm so sorry about Strawberry...my heart aches for your loss. I'm glad that you're going to get another one though. Research, research, and research so that you'll know everything about your new addition. And, what you don't know, you can always come here and get whatever info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.