EMERGENCY, dog v Tortoise, Please Help

BuzBuz

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I'm going to need your guys' help if at all possible!! I just found my dog chewing on my yearling Redfoot Heidi like a damn bone! Part of her shell on the underside has about a half inch crack and on some part of her shell a thin top layer is missing, each part about a 3rd of an inch gone. Wtf do I do! Going to the vet first thing in the morning, but what can I do RIGHT now? I've decided to leave her alone for tonight and just give her space. No photos because I just want her to rest, don't want to cause any further bother to her. Please help.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello!
Is there bleeding from the wounds? And can you see any puncture marks where a canine tooth went in deep?

If it's only outer shell damage, I think she should be OK with some wound care.

On the top, can you see the bone that is under the keratin of the shell? Has the bone been punctured?

On the bottom, is there a gap where you can see inside, or a outer crack only?

Last edited:

BuzBuz

Houston, Texas
Hello!
Is there bleeding from the wounds? And can you see any puncture marks where a canine tooth went in deep?

If it's only outer shell damage, I think she should be OK with some wound care.

On the top, can you see the bone that is under the keratin of the shell? Has the bone been punctured?

On the bottom, is there a gap where you can see inside, or a outer crack only?
Hey, Karen! Thank you so much for responding. I can see a small dent on the top of her shell that his tooth left. There's mild outer shell damage on top, but underneath I can kind of see through the crack. I'm taking her to the reptile vet in the morning and will pay whatever is necessary. I'm also ordering her a safer enclosure!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm also ordering her a safer enclosure!
With not seeing the wounds, it sounds like the damage is not extremely serious. Hopefully there is no penetration of the bone under the carapace. It will take a very long time to heal completely, and may never look normal again.

The plastron sounds more concerning, but again, hopefully there is no internal injury.

Now, enquiring minds want to know...how did she manage to get out of her enclosure?? Should she be renamed Houdini? 🤔🙂

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey, Karen! Thank you so much for responding. I can see a small dent on the top of her shell that his tooth left. There's mild outer shell damage on top, but underneath I can kind of see through the crack. I'm taking her to the reptile vet in the morning and will pay whatever is necessary. I'm also ordering her a safer enclosure!
I really hope your tort will be OK, I'm so pleased you found her in time.
After that scare, as well as a safer enclosure, I'm sure you already realise the dog must be kept well away - s/he thinks he has a new chew toy and could try it again.
Let us know how your tort is.

BuzBuz

Houston, Texas
With not seeing the wounds, it sounds like the damage is not extremely serious. Hopefully there is no penetration of the bone under the carapace. It will take a very long time to heal completely, and may never look normal again.

The plastron sounds more concerning, but again, hopefully there is no internal injury.

Now, enquiring minds want to know...how did she manage to get out of her enclosure?? Should she be renamed Houdini? 🤔🙂
Thank you! We're okay after the vet visit. Now I get some experience with giving her injections. I ordered a new enclosure too.

BuzBuz

Houston, Texas
I really hope your tort will be OK, I'm so pleased you found her in time.
After that scare, as well as a safer enclosure, I'm sure you already realise the dog must be kept well away - s/he thinks he has a new chew toy and could try it again.
Let us know how your tort is.
She is okay, thank you! New enclosure is on it's way!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a relief. So what did the Vet find? What kind of dog?