Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbravo9

5 Year Member
Someone came into the school my wife works at today and said they had a turtle. My wife brought it home and it ended up being a small sulcata. The woman who gave it to my wife said her dog picked it up and took it to her. There are small holes in the shell from the dogs teeth. He is barely able to raise his or her head. I gave it a soak for a few minutes and put him in a container with timothy hay over night to make sure he would stay dry. His shell looked wet. I put some spring mix in. It seemed interested but wasn't able to lift its head to eat. I cleaned the shell and put some anti bacterial ointment in the small tooth holes the dog left. Any suggestions until I can get him looked at? I'll post some pics if it makes it through the night.

M

Maggie Cummings

Warm him up he sounds too cold. Even if you just use a 100 watt incandescent bulb that would be fine. But you need to get a light warming him up. You've done everything else just fine, but warm him up. I personally would use a black light bulb if you have one...

jimbravo9

5 Year Member
I'm in Florida. From the time I got home at about 6pm I had a 100 watt bulb on him. Since lights out I have a red bulb on him at 100 watts. He was showing some movement at bed time where he didn't have any before that. Hopefully he'll show some improvement in the morning.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I advise keeping an eye on him if he is weak and you put heat on him. Yes, he needs heat, but if he is weak he may not thermoregulate correctly and become very dehydrated to make things worse.
I suggest raising the room temp and lowing the basking temp. You want to know how much? Hard to say. This is one of those things that you consider everything and make adjustments from experience. Try what you think is best and we will hope for the best.
A Vet can best advise you about the holes.

jimbravo9 said:
I'm in Florida. From the time I got home at about 6pm I had a 100 watt bulb on him. Since lights out I have a red bulb on him at 100 watts. He was showing some movement at bed time where he didn't have any before that. Hopefully he'll show some improvement in the morning.

jimbravo9

5 Year Member
Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night. I didn't think he would but I hoped.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was really hoping on a happy ending on this one. :(

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Oh gosh, its my first time reading this thread!
What a sad ending,
Im so sorry, he would of hanked you for trying your best!!

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.