could sugar rush = burrow building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boutselis

5 Year Member
Could to much of this maddie eating water mellon.jpg

caused this to happen: SS852769.jpg SS852770.jpg

leaving me with one sandy tortoise: SS852771.jpg

It was right after eating about 1/2 of a small seedless water mellon that she started digging. Maddie (thats what her name is now) only dug till dark so she could just squeeze in

SS852768.jpg

And then continued some time after she woke up this morning. Obviously nothing compared to RV's dirt mansion but it was plenty enough for my wife to say "And you want that in the small pasture right next to the house.... no way!" we are still arguing about it. Round 4 coming up.

And does this burrow mean
A: I like it here so I'm gonna dig in and stay
B: Maybe if I go underground this weirdo will stop staring at me and taking my picture
C: I'm a Tortoise. I dig holes. Get over it already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
LOL, Keith:

What kind of hiding place did your provide for Maddie?

She just might be a burrow-builder, but in my experience, if you give them what they need in a hiding place/house, they don't burrow.

Your post was quite humorous!!

boutselis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
LOL, Keith:

What kind of hiding place did your provide for Maddie?

She just might be a burrow-builder, but in my experience, if you give them what they need in a hiding place/house, they don't burrow.

Your post was quite humorous!!

In the "former" garden Maddie now calls home there is a large raised planter next to a tree. She seemed pretty comfortable under there, nestled against the tree. The planter is about 26" high (at its bottom) 4' wide and 8' long. I really thought it was gonna work out fine. Guess I was wrong.

Laura said:
probably trying to hide form a belly ache!

I hope not. I doubt she could have dug so well if she had an up set tummy. She enjoyed the water mellon so much and it was so much fun to watch her eat it (I even have a 12 minute video of it) that I didn't think about how much she should eat. I did wonder how much she could eat. Something tells me should would have ate it till she burst.

It isn't much of a video but if you want to see her eating water mellon you can use the link bellow. You may have to cut and paste into the address bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojt_-IZhisU

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I love the last pic of her tucked in her burrow, she is so adorable! Looks like a smile on her face! I think the answer to the question in C :)

Status
Not open for further replies.