To dig? Or not?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So I recently adopted an adult female sulcata (yay!! haven't regretted it for a second!) and she lives full time outdoors, becuase she does have a heated shed and she can handle the big scary racoons :D (bit too big to be lifted, but she doesn't know that) and she has started to dig burrows. Very big, very messy, very deep burrows. I am concerned because it is almost fall, temps will start to drop and I am afraid she will start to hibernate or something, before I move her into her shed for the winter. Also, would she dig a burrow and come up on the other side of the fence? There is a small (8 inches :oops: ) underground, because I had not anticipated this issue! How deep do they dig these things? It is supposed rain soon, what happens if the burrow floods??
Thanks guys :D

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Hi. Sulcatas do not hibernate, but may be less active depending on your outside temps. I wouldn't leave her in a burrow especially if it's going to be cold and wet, but that's just my opinion.
I would worry about racoons no matter the size of the tortoise, but again that's just my opinion.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hi. Sulcatas do not hibernate, but may be less active depending on your outside temps. I wouldn't leave her in a burrow especially if it's going to be cold and wet, but that's just my opinion.
I would worry about racoons no matter the size of the tortoise, but again that's just my opinion.
Thanks! Right now it aruond 80s in the day here, and 60-70s at night. She has a house she goes in if it is especially cold or damp (raining) but she she has been in her burrow... haven't seen her all day :( so I can't put her in there to prepare for the big rain!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
So I recently adopted an adult female sulcata (yay!! haven't regretted it for a second!) and she lives full time outdoors, becuase she does have a heated shed and she can handle the big scary racoons :D (bit too big to be lifted, but she doesn't know that) and she has started to dig burrows. Very big, very messy, very deep burrows. I am concerned because it is almost fall, temps will start to drop and I am afraid she will start to hibernate or something, before I move her into her shed for the winter. Also, would she dig a burrow and come up on the other side of the fence? There is a small (8 inches :oops: ) underground, because I had not anticipated this issue! How deep do they dig these things? It is supposed rain soon, what happens if the burrow floods??
Thanks guys :D
Hi :) burrows have one entrance only (no exits),the burrows can be pretty deep... Get a hose, put it inside the burrow, turn it on! He'll het out like a rocket, then let him in the night shed. I'll get some more info if you wait some more!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you! Good thing to know she won't be popping up anywhere else :p I peered down in there, ad I couldn't even see the end :confused: she been working hard... I suspect she ahs already settled down in her sleepy spot down there, so I'll try tomorrow... No chance anything else will crawl down in there, in there?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thank you! Good thing to know she won't be popping up anywhere else :p I peered down in there, ad I couldn't even see the end :confused: she been working hard... I suspect she ahs already settled down in her sleepy spot down there, so I'll try tomorrow... No chance anything else will crawl down in there, in there?
Not really, he'll probably ram him, didn't you see how strong they are?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Yes, if you read my thread about Tank's "Adventures in Burrowing" it sounds like you are getting into the same territory as I am. He has been "starting" burrows all over the yard (he has 1/2 acre) for a long time but has always run into stuff or we've had to stop him.
His current burrow is huge. I live in South Texas and have maybe one month of very cold weather to worry about, so I'll deal with that when the time comes. The problem right now is the heat! Easily >100 degrees daily. But he's quite happy and cool in his hole.
If you have a digger, then you have a digger. And nothing is going to stop her. Believe me, I tried everything. Just try to guide her to safe spot to get going away from pipes and power sources.
How big is she?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, if you read my thread about Tank's "Adventures in Burrowing" it sounds like you are getting into the same territory as I am. He has been "starting" burrows all over the yard (he has 1/2 acre) for a long time but has always run into stuff or we've had to stop him.
His current burrow is huge. I live in South Texas and have maybe one month of very cold weather to worry about, so I'll deal with that when the time comes. The problem right now is the heat! Easily >100 degrees daily. But he's quite happy and cool in his hole.
If you have a digger, then you have a digger. And nothing is going to stop her. Believe me, I tried everything. Just try to guide her to safe spot to get going away from pipes and power sources.
How big is she?
She is currently only 14 inches, but I'm sure she'll grow bigger :D For everyone;s enternatiment, (and some benefit) I tried out @AbdullaAli's suggestion, and poured a little water down her hole... Man, I had to get out of the way quick :p It actually took her a few minutes to climb out, but good thing she did because it poured all day :( she's all dry in her shed though :D