RV's Burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
This is interesting, since I'm a new tort owner, but also just finished phase one of doing my landscaping; I estimate I've got about 3/4 of an acre currently, and having to dig the trench for my drip system, I understand why my sod installer used a JACKHAMMER to install the irrigation piping (which I later blew up looking for a drip line.. Another story). The earth here (in Mesa) is unlike anything I've ever encountered in my life.

I would think if it weren't for the bugs, I have giant carpenter ants, this would be ideal earth for torts to burrow in...? (obviously away from structures, etc.) I get now how the ancients survived in their hand dug homes...

bfmorris

5 Year Member
Ants can be easily removed with a product called Grant's Granules. It's a bait they take down into the colony and it wipes them out.

I think if the tortoise's burrow is started with a wedge shaped, sloped incision to a depth that allows the burrow opening to begin with about a three or four foot header over it, the burrow should be fine.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
bfmorris said:
Ants can be easily removed with a product called Grant's Granules. It's a bait they take down into the colony and it wipes them out.

I think if the tortoise's burrow is started with a wedge shaped, sloped incision to a depth that allows the burrow opening to begin with about a three or four foot header over it, the burrow should be fine.

I tried Grants Granuals, apparently my ants have seen this trick before, as it didn't get rid of the colony (although, the colony could have had multiple queens and the Granuals only got to one)...? I battled with them all summer, and mid August I persistently disturbed their entrance... And haven't seen them since so I'm cautiously optimistic they moved...

Status
Not open for further replies.