Stuck in burrow

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There are 1000’s of tort keepers all around the globe STILL pulling for your tort and you. Fingers still crossed. glad you were able to finally get him out from the burrow.

Still hoping for a miracle in Vernal Utah. All the best.

Bee62

Germany
Hello everyone, first of all I want to thank all of you for your concern and for all of your ideas. I apologize for the delay in updating, I have been working almost day and night at the hospital, and haven't had time to get back on the Forum. I did finally get Tucker out, with a lot of help , and an electric shovel. but he never recovered. His legs and head were still movable, so I hoped for recovery. However after warm baths, heat, and a lot of time, there was no sign of life. I hope somebody else is able to protect their tortoise better than I was able to because of this thread. This is an amazing community, and I truly appreciate all of your concern and help. We still have our little Toby, even though he's not so little. We have decided to put Tucker back in the burrow, where he was always happiest, and fill it back up in the spring. Right now I have him in the heated tortoise house, still hoping for any sign of life. There isn't any smell yet, so we aren't ready to bury him yet. There's always that little glimmer of hope I guess. Thank you again, you are all wonderful.
Thank you for the update. Please don`t punish yourself for what happened. It was not your fault that Tucker broke trough fences and went into his burrow. You are no bad tort-mummy. You`ve done all to safe him and to get him out.
Still waiting and hoping for a little wonder. Please wait to burry Tucker until you are 100 % sure he is dead.
I am sorry for what happend and that you are feeling sad now. Please accept an electronic hug from me.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello everyone, first of all I want to thank all of you for your concern and for all of your ideas. I apologize for the delay in updating, I have been working almost day and night at the hospital, and haven't had time to get back on the Forum. I did finally get Tucker out, with a lot of help , and an electric shovel. but he never recovered. His legs and head were still movable, so I hoped for recovery. However after warm baths, heat, and a lot of time, there was no sign of life. I hope somebody else is able to protect their tortoise better than I was able to because of this thread. This is an amazing community, and I truly appreciate all of your concern and help. We still have our little Toby, even though he's not so little. We have decided to put Tucker back in the burrow, where he was always happiest, and fill it back up in the spring. Right now I have him in the heated tortoise house, still hoping for any sign of life. There isn't any smell yet, so we aren't ready to bury him yet. There's always that little glimmer of hope I guess. Thank you again, you are all wonderful.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Mummy2511

Essex
Gutted for you, but least he went to the place he was most happy, hoping this doesn't put you off making many memories with your other tort xx

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Gutted for you, but least he went to the place he was most happy, hoping this doesn't put you off making many memories with your other tort xx
So, so sorry. Everything crossed for a miracle. My very best wishes to you all.

Diamond

phoenix,az
So sorry for your loss. You did what you could. I'm sure your story will help others. Thanks for the update. Been thinking about you and Tucker everyday,

Kamisaki2008

Vernal. UT
Did you get him out?
I wrote a post a few days ago. Yes, but we think he's gone. After warm baths and a visit from the vet, still no signs of life. He doesn't smell and his legs and head are movable so we are keeping him warm and hoping for a miracle. Thanks for your concern!

Kamisaki2008

Vernal. UT
Any new news Kamisaki2008? (BTW, I am really new to adult sulcata caretaking so very little experience or good advice...mostly questions.) I believe I've re-read every comment to make sure I'm not asking something again.

Despite the weather, it seems you have kept the burrow relatively warm for him, which ultimately may be the only reasonable recourse you have. I saw a post where @Tom built an underground house. In your case, they made it themselves and perhaps you just need to maintain heat and humidity. Maybe something to insulate the burrow opening that he can push out of the way when it's time.

Are his legs still pliable and/or is there any reaction when you try to grab his leg or foot? I usually get a hiss.
I know you don't want to use water. Did you try the electric blanket near him to see if he would move to it? I like the idea of dragging him out on a blanket if he cooperates.

Then I have hare-brained ideas.

If you really have/want to create space above his shell but have restricted movement, a drill with a long wood auger goes through dirt and clay pretty easily. It should loosen it up enough to shovel some out. Not sure what that will do for you but I presume it's to employ the bicycle hooks and chain. You mention he's around a bend so maybe you can break down some of that wall too.

Next crazy one. Clamp Locking Pliers on a front scute and a gular. Personally, I'd never be able to squeeze one tight enough because of arthritis, but there is a model with hinged clamps to conform to subject's irregular surface and, more importantly, has a hole in the tightening nut so can use a screwdriver to tighten, i.e. can be done with one arthritic hand. Attach chains to these and pull him out. If the ground is bumpy then maybe put some thin plywood on floor. I can't find anything about how strong the gulars are or whether it would cause pain/stress to him but if no other options, WTH.

You have a Lowes in town that has these in stock. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-FATMAX-12-in-Chain-Clamp-Locking-Pliers/1000034259
I would send you a couple but can't find on Amazon Prime.

After reading my own diatribe, I think I'd just make his new home nice and cozy for the time being.

Please let us know how it's going. Thanks
These are great ideas. I hope the next person with this dilemma will find your post before it's too late. There have been many awesome ideas here and I am so grateful for the community effort and concern!

Kamisaki2008

Vernal. UT
I went back to respond to everybody's individual messages, but there were so many! I am overwhelmed with the response from this forum. I just want to thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for your ideas, your concern, your prayers, all of the good thoughts, and your positive words. It means the world to me. The tortoise Community is really amazing! It's evident that we all love our animals. Thank you thank you thank you! I hope at some point I can help somebody else if they are ever in a dilemma like I was. We are still hoping for a miracle. We won't bury him until we're 100% sure he's gone. I hope he's just taking a long winter's nap. We will keep watching and keep caring for him until then. Thank you again everybody.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I went back to respond to everybody's individual messages, but there were so many! I am overwhelmed with the response from this forum. I just want to thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for your ideas, your concern, your prayers, all of the good thoughts, and your positive words. It means the world to me. The tortoise Community is really amazing! It's evident that we all love our animals. Thank you thank you thank you! I hope at some point I can help somebody else if they are ever in a dilemma like I was. We are still hoping for a miracle. We won't bury him until we're 100% sure he's gone. I hope he's just taking a long winter's nap. We will keep watching and keep caring for him until then. Thank you again everybody.

We were all rooting for you, and I know you did everything you possibly could in such a tough situation. I'm still hoping for a miracle also. I'm so sorry this didn't have a better outcome :(

ohiohomestead

Northern Ohio
Appreciate and thank you for returning for the update as I can see nothing harder to do then to log in and share/talk about this. (It will surely help others!)
My sincere condolences.

Kamisaki2008

Vernal. UT
Just an update . Tucker has passed away most certainly .We are returning him to the burrow and filling it in. He has started decaying. We are so sad .Thank you to everyone here. I appreciate you so much. And I hope someone else learns from my errors. Toby is still alive and well, and we are so grateful he didn't follow his brother down the burrow in January! We are counting our blessings and mourning our sweet big walking boulder!!!

Bee62

Germany
Just an update . Tucker has passed away most certainly .We are returning him to the burrow and filling it in. He has started decaying. We are so sad .Thank you to everyone here. I appreciate you so much. And I hope someone else learns from my errors. Toby is still alive and well, and we are so grateful he didn't follow his brother down the burrow in January! We are counting our blessings and mourning our sweet big walking boulder!!!
Again: It was not your fault. Tucker broke the fence and went down the burrow. Torts are stubborn and sometimes things happen that are not under our control. Don`t punish yourself with your sad thoughts.
Please accept an electronic hug from me. I am sorry for what happend but it was definitely not your fault.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
You are Just Amazing. You did so very much to help your tort. And the friends in this thread are Superheroes too. I’m so sorry about Tucker. He was lucky to have you.