Stuck in burrow

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We were unsuccessful in extracting him from the burrow :'( thank you to everyone <3
Are you giving up? Are you just going to leave him down there? I don't understand. You need to get the tortoise out of there.

No one can get a sulcata tortoise out of its burrow by hand. I'm not surprised that didn't work. A massive hole would have to be dug to get to him. How and where were you digging? Show us a pic?

Is there still a tunnel leading out? Get a "Y" fitting and hook up to your washer and dryer faucets. Run enough hose from the "Y" to reach the burrow and start filling it up. Have someone on the end of the hose to check the water temp. Sometimes they come shooting out of the burrow as soon as it starts flowing. Worse case, you'll have to fill it up, but up to the surface he will come.

If he's still down there, you need to keep working to get him up and out.

Kamisaki2008

Vernal. UT
The ground up top Is Frozen. The burrow goes underneath the foundation. I can't dig straight down. I'm also a single mom and have a chronic illness of my joints. I'm doing everything I can, but he's in there like he's super glued. I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, and resources are limited. As is space to maneuver. Believe me we are trying with everything we can.

ohiohomestead

Northern Ohio
The ground up top Is Frozen. The burrow goes underneath the foundation. I can't dig straight down. I'm also a single mom and have a chronic illness of my joints. I'm doing everything I can, but he's in there like he's super glued. I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, and resources are limited. As is space to maneuver. Believe me we are trying with everything we can.

You need help, respectfully. There is no reason to feel ashamed or less to post on FB or local communitiee portals for help. At the end it is the tortoise that needs it. (Let any volunteer know that there is no momentary gain or your on a budget. Many, many people would gladly help.) call a local excavating company to dig along side to extract him and make payments. Usually they are slow this time of year and are willing to work with people this time of the years.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As has been posted in previous replies, I bet if you contacted the fire dept, animal shelter, found a local turtle/tortoise club, local pet shop, etc, etc, ... You would certainly find several people willing to come out with shovels and help. Especially in a smaller community like yours - Vernal / Naples / Maeser / Jensen...

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Did you ever try the water thing? I read you were concerned about drowning but at some point may become academic. Just wondering.
In the meantime do you still have a space heater in there?

Bee62

Germany
I`ve tried to get help for you.
Here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/SulcataTOWW/?ref=group_header

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SulcataTOWW/?ref=group_header
Sulcata Tortoise Owners World Wide (STOWW)

Geschlossene Gruppe
Info
Diskussion
Mitglieder
Veranstaltungen
Videos
Fotos
Dateien
Favoriten
Hermanns Tortoise Owners World Wide (HTOWW)20+
Sulcata Tortoise Owners World Wide (STOWW)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/?category=top&ref=ego

Sabine Lebensieg
Gerade eben
URGENT !!! URGENT !!! URGENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a tortoise owner in need for help. Her big sulcata tortoise stuck in a burrow and does not come out. It is too cold to leave the tortoise in the burrow and the owner, a female "tort-mummy" has no help to dig him out. She lives in
Vernal, Utah, USA.
Can anybody help please !!!! Is anybody in that region that can help ???? PLEASE !!!!!!!!
URGENT !!!!! URGENT !!!!!!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Instead of trying to heat the whole burrow, how about a heating blanket/extension cord pushed down to her with a stick and see she’ll move to it. Don’t forget to knot the cord ends together in case she gets on it. Hopefully you can get her around that corner and slowly inch her out.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
We were unsuccessful in extracting him from the burrow :'( thank you to everyone <3
I have really never been in the situation you are in right now, and I hope I never am. I can only imagine what you must be going through right now. I have been glued to my phone since this post was put up, rigorously checking it for updates. Each and every time hoping to hear about a good outcome. It's almost kind of like one of those stories where the little kid fell in the well and you're really pulling for that family. I know everybody on here is pulling for you, I know it will be a struggle, but if he is a member of your family I pray you don't give up on him. Best of luck, and in the end I hope it all works out for you.