Emo Tortoise?

Sue Ann

Location (City and/or State)
chapin , South Carolina
Ya I have a large Tupperware thing I use to feed my ball python.., I had 4 but kept one after breaking up with ex... it’s just not clear so I didn’t want to put Harold Archibald in there then he can’t see... a complication is I can’t just walk into a pet shop to but lighting and substrates due to CORONAVIRUS limitations. We’ve been locked down for weeks so we are good! But businesses are closed ??‍♀️ Not concerned about cost... we aren’t struggling there at all. I just don’t like how one person in particular treats me like a needy idiot when I’m not ignorant... I know I don’t know everything so that why I came here Yknow? Thank you ??
Try Amazon

Quadro

SC
I just want to say I wouldn’t want anything sugar coated I adopted my torts out of one situation wanting them to be in an entirely different and better situation . I can’t
fix the pyramiding on my one adult but I’m doing what is better for them now all because of all people who care on here . If you are blessed to own one of these great creatures then you should want the best for them not to just survive but thrive . You should want to replicate there habitat as much as you can inside or out according to your species and keep them looking natural .No one tries to be rude on here they just are to the point in telling you what is wrong because time is of the essence when it comes to little ones . I’m sorry if you felt disrespected or feelings were hurt but I’d think you’d be taking constructive criticism and just fix issues coming from people with YEARS of experience. But hey this is just my opinion I see it with people all the time there is some people you just can’t tell anything too like me and people on parrots or like the beardy I saved from dying from previous owner feeding it lettuce and no uvb no soaking now his poor little legs are deformed he drank water until he threw it up again but then another comes along only to argue ? I haven’t had uvb on mine and it’s fine coming from another customer so yeah I’ll take to the point any day and hold the sugar I’ve seen enough death ?

Ambrojha

West hills, ca
We do not mean to be rude but we care and need you to realize your baby is dying.You must listen, so sad when people ask for advice and then dispute the advice given.You need a sense of urgency to make the changes NOW
Did I EVER dispute? No. I didn’t. I thanked. I was battered with insults and name calling. I didn’t say everyone was rude. I named the one who was rude and obviously I can’t make all the changes right away. Actually pretty much everyone but him was nice or at least decent to me. Maybe just irritated with quarantine restrictions and he took it out on me. I don’t know. I’m not deaf though. I’m educated. There’s no need to speak to me the way I was spoken to. If no further or additional advice I can apply to raising Harold Archibald, please don’t send any further replies to me in Tom defense. I’m not returning to this group. Ridiculous

Ambrojha

West hills, ca
I just want to say I wouldn’t want anything sugar coated I adopted my torts out of one situation wanting them to be in an entirely different and better situation . I can’t
fix the pyramiding on my one adult but I’m doing what is better for them now all because of all people who care on here . If you are blessed to own one of these great creatures then you should want the best for them not to just survive but thrive . You should want to replicate there habitat as much as you can inside or out according to your species and keep them looking natural .No one tries to be rude on here they just are to the point in telling you what is wrong because time is of the essence when it comes to little ones . I’m sorry if you felt disrespected or feelings were hurt but I’d think you’d be taking constructive criticism and just fix issues coming from people with YEARS of experience. But hey this is just my opinion I see it with people all the time there is some people you just can’t tell anything too like me and people on parrots or like the beardy I saved from dying from previous owner feeding it lettuce and no uvb no soaking now his poor little legs are deformed he drank water until he threw it up again but then another comes along only to argue ? I haven’t had uvb on mine and it’s fine coming from another customer so yeah I’ll take to the point any day and hold the sugar I’ve seen enough death ?
No. Calling me names isn’t appropriate. At all. I never said everyone was that way. I’m not going to repeat self. I also said we used to have diff lighting and changed to ceramic. That was from suggestion. The plants were from suggestion. I listen to suggestions. However I won’t tolerate being called names, laughed at, spoken to in all caps... that’s juvenile and not needed.

Ambrojha

West hills, ca
The last person asking Tom for advice and called him rude was someone with 2 torts housed together and growing at different rates. Tom said to separate them, the little one was being bullied he was told no they loved each other and cuddled together. Tom told them it was not cuddling and a bunch of other stuff.His advice was disputed at every turn. A week later they sent a photo of the smaller tortoise with its head eaten off. And still disputed it was the bigger tort. If you care for that poor little tort make the changes now !
I’m not that person! I only have one tort. He could apologize but he’s too high and mighty to do that.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
No. Calling me names isn’t appropriate. At all. I never said everyone was that way. I’m not going to repeat self. I also said we used to have diff lighting and changed to ceramic. That was from suggestion. The plants were from suggestion. I listen to suggestions. However I won’t tolerate being called names, laughed at, spoken to in all caps... that’s juvenile and not needed.
Happy Easter :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're referring to the "ignorant" comment, I'm pretty sure he was saying your action was ignorant, not you personally. Also, being ignorant only means you are not educated about a particular thing. I'm pretty ignorant about quite a few things, and it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone told me I was ignorant about any one of those subjects. At any rate, we (moderators) don't allow name calling. So we have either missed this name calling episode, or we didn't agree it was name calling.

Echo 1

Kelowna, BC Canada
Sadly many of us get awful advice from breeders and pet store when we are starting out...... I sure did! I agree, your baby needs to be warmer. 70 degrees is not adequate, they will not be active at that temp nor (if they do eat) will they be able to digest the food. Humidity is important, especially for little guys. If you think about it, they spend their early years hiding in warm moist areas. I have redfoots, in the wild, when they are little, much of their time is spent hiding in composting leaf litter. The composting process produces heat and high humidity! I have heard that warm (90 to 95 degrees) carrot juice soaks might be helpful too, perhaps more experienced keepers can weigh in on that? Please don't be offended, we all LOVE tortoises here and only want to help you save your little one!

Dabby

Albuquerque NM
Hi! I’m new here too. I got a LOT of bad advice from the pet store. Mine is a little red foot “rescue” where the person bought her for her kid and the kid got bored, so they wanted to get rid of her and gave her back to the pet store. I was told she was a desert tortoise (I’m in the desert) and could live outside free range, blah blah blah. They couldn’t have been more wrong. I have gotten some great info here and in 2 Facebook groups. It certainly beats the contradictory info I find when I Google redfoot care. Hang in there. This is a good group.

So, with that caveat about being new, this is an idea I saw that looked and sounded like a cool adaptation for an open air enclosure - they put the whole enclosure in a very small walk-in greenhouse tent, then had a regular humidifier (not a tiny one for a small space) and then the lamps. That person stated that it was very successful. In that same group, someone had a more portable but similar idea, making a greenhouse-style plastic cover and then cutting a hole for a humidifier hose. That was a removable one, like a tall translucent lid.

Another idea I saw was someone used a 55 gallon plastic tub and cut a hole in the side and put plexiglass over it, like a giant window. Then he could use the lid to increase heat and humidity. Just some cool ideas. Of course, if someone pipes up that these aren’t good alternatives, I would listen to them.

I got some replacement substrate on Chewy. It took 3 weeks. Amazon is taking a long time too (especially if it’s something from their warehouse, instead of a 3rd party vendor). It seems like eBay is much faster right now. So is Etsy. While I prefer to shop at local or smaller businesses, Home Depot and Lowe’s are open here because they are “essential”, as are Petco and PetSmart. You can buy from all of those online too.

Good luck! It’s hard to start the process with crappy advice.... I can tell you that from personal experience. This group and the Facebook group have been lifesavers. Take care!

jeneliza

burton michigan
I am going to try to be peace maker here, going back and forth, doesn't help this little tortoises, we all see things in our own way, so times words seem hurtful and aren't meant to be, but the reason we are all here is to support each other, and share our love for tortoises, and to help each, sometimes it's just easier and better to let things fall where they did, and move on, to the really reason we all came here and joinned the forum, for some it's help with ours, others to share our knowledge, we all have made our mistakes with our tortoises, some of us years ago and learned, others are making them now, but bottom line is that we all are here to help, and this can't be done if we don't move on to the issue , and please please put your difference aside , and get this little dude the help he needs, because he's really what matters, may both sides be blessed,

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I'm up in Santa Clarita and I've never heard of them. The baby wasn't started correctly, and it looks like you got bad care advice too. Sadly, this is the norm, so don't feel bad. All the correct info is in those links. I hope its not too late. First and foremost this baby needs to be warmed up. No part of the enclosure should dip below 80 day or night. The CHE is fine for maintaining ambient, but it can't work in an open tortoise table on the floor, and you still need a basking area and UV.

These babies hatch at the start of the monsoon season over in Africa. Its hot, humid, wet, and there are puddles and marshes every where. These are the conditions you need to simulate, and you can't do it in and open topped table.
Tom, that’s very useful info. I had no idea about babies being born during monsoon season. Makes total sense now why they need a “wet start”. Thanks!

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Painted Reptile is a depressing store... I think they operate as a 501c3 so they can get by

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, that’s very useful info. I had no idea about babies being born during monsoon season. Makes total sense now why they need a “wet start”. Thanks!
You are not alone. Most of the tortoise world still doesn't know this and they keep starting clutch after clutch dry, outside all day, and often on rabbit pellets or some other dry substrate. Then they get all indignant and tell me daily soaks and humidity aren't natural. They ask,"Well who soaks them every day in nature?" Ummmmm... Its raining and there are puddles and marshes everywhere, soooooo... Mother Nature??? Self-soaking???

What has been most fascinating to me over the last 10 years is that "humid and hydrated" works wonders on ALL species, for ALL tortoise keepers all over the world. Thriving vs. just surviving. I'll be doing it with Egyptian tortoises in the next few months. They are the last species suffering from the dry routine that no one has tried a "moderate" humidity approach with. Almost all of them are pyramided, and its sulcata deja vu all over again. "They'll die." "They'll get shell rot." "They'll get a RI." We will see about that...

jeneliza

burton michigan
Hi! I’m new here too. I got a LOT of bad advice from the pet store. Mine is a little red foot “rescue” where the person bought her for her kid and the kid got bored, so they wanted to get rid of her and gave her back to the pet store. I was told she was a desert tortoise (I’m in the desert) and could live outside free range, blah blah blah. They couldn’t have been more wrong. I have gotten some great info here and in 2 Facebook groups. It certainly beats the contradictory info I find when I Google redfoot care. Hang in there. This is a good group.

So, with that caveat about being new, this is an idea I saw that looked and sounded like a cool adaptation for an open air enclosure - they put the whole enclosure in a very small walk-in greenhouse tent, then had a regular humidifier (not a tiny one for a small space) and then the lamps. That person stated that it was very successful. In that same group, someone had a more portable but similar idea, making a greenhouse-style plastic cover and then cutting a hole for a humidifier hose. That was a removable one, like a tall translucent lid.

Another idea I saw was someone used a 55 gallon plastic tub and cut a hole in the side and put plexiglass over it, like a giant window. Then he could use the lid to increase heat and humidity. Just some cool ideas. Of course, if someone pipes up that these aren’t good alternatives, I would listen to them.

I got some replacement substrate on Chewy. It took 3 weeks. Amazon is taking a long time too (especially if it’s something from their warehouse, instead of a 3rd party vendor). It seems like eBay is much faster right now. So is Etsy. While I prefer to shop at local or smaller businesses, Home Depot and Lowe’s are open here because they are “essential”, as are Petco and PetSmart. You can buy from all of those online too.

Good luck! It’s hard to start the process with crappy advice.... I can tell you that from personal experience. This group and the Facebook group have been lifesavers. Take care!
you be okay with the 55,=gallon tub for a little while, but your little tortoises will out grow it pretty fast, I had a 55 gallon tank a few years ago, and it got pretty tight , I recommend, when you go bigger just go to at least 6 by 4 or you have to build or buy one in year, I made this mistake, I made mine, and use Plexy Glass for a lid,
You are not alone. Most of the tortoise world still doesn't know this and they keep starting clutch after clutch dry, outside all day, and often on rabbit pellets or some other dry substrate. Then they get all indignant and tell me daily soaks and humidity aren't natural. They ask,"Well who soaks them every day in nature?" Ummmmm... Its raining and there are puddles and marshes everywhere, soooooo... Mother Nature??? Self-soaking???

What has been most fascinating to me over the last 10 years is that "humid and hydrated" works wonders on ALL species, for ALL tortoise keepers all over the world. Thriving vs. just surviving. I'll be doing it with Egyptian tortoises in the next few months. They are the last species suffering from the dry routine that no one has tried a "moderate" humidity approach with. Almost all of them are pyramided, and its sulcata deja vu all over again. "They'll die." "They'll get shell rot." "They'll get a RI." We will see about that...
I wish someone had done this when mine was young, I wish she wasn't pyramided, I feel so bad , about it, she had them before I got her, I thought it was just the way they looked, but at least she's healthy now,

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Your tortoise absorbs vital nutrients from the sun through its shell, just like you do through your skin. Just like you can murder a human by covering them with paint, you'll get the same result with a tortoise. It may not look like it, but that shell is not as thick as your fingernail. So if you bought it from "The Painted Tortoise", and they paint their tortoises, then they need to be reported for animal abuse and cruelty.

Unless they are badly wounded or poisoned, it takes a tortoise a LONG time to finally die - suffering the whole time. If it has stopped basking where it is warmer in its enclosure, it is because it no longer has the strength to get there. It will not eat if in shock. It is close to just not waking up.

If you look, you will find other posts on here that highly recommend trying to save a very sick tortoise by soaking it in warm (not luke warm, warm) water mixed with baby food carrots. Some of the nutrients will be absorbed through the shell, and hopefully, the tortoise will also drink some. Do not let the water cool off - you can keep it warm by putting the soaking container under the heat source. The minimum temperature under the heat source needs to be 90 degrees. Higher (95-100) is better. Put in enough water & carrots to come at least to cover the "skirt" on the bottom of the shell. Soak no less than 30 minutes, several times a day.

To be very blunt - your baby is near death. It is dehydrated, hypothermic and not able to get enough oxygen. The response on here is because it is that bad, and only you can try to fix it - none of us can. Think of it as your child being in a pond, unable to stay above water. The last thing you'd do is ask if someone can help you to teach them to swim. Even if you did, any help extended would be to do anything possible to rescue your child. It might be more beneficial if you were to put on your tough skin, work on saving your tort, and think about being angry and your hurt feelings later. Like almost every new tort owner, the "expert" advise and care instructions that you were given are not only not expert, in many cases they are downright harmful.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Your tortoise absorbs vital nutrients from the sun through its shell, just like you do through your skin. Just like you can murder a human by covering them with paint, you'll get the same result with a tortoise. It may not look like it, but that shell is not as thick as your fingernail. So if you bought it from "The Painted Tortoise", and they paint their tortoises, then they need to be reported for animal abuse and cruelty.

Unless they are badly wounded or poisoned, it takes a tortoise a LONG time to finally die - suffering the whole time. If it has stopped basking where it is warmer in its enclosure, it is because it no longer has the strength to get there. It will not eat if in shock. It is close to just not waking up.

If you look, you will find other posts on here that highly recommend trying to save a very sick tortoise by soaking it in warm (not luke warm, warm) water mixed with baby food carrots. Some of the nutrients will be absorbed through the shell, and hopefully, the tortoise will also drink some. Do not let the water cool off - you can keep it warm by putting the soaking container under the heat source. The minimum temperature under the heat source needs to be 90 degrees. Higher (95-100) is better. Put in enough water & carrots to come at least to cover the "skirt" on the bottom of the shell. Soak no less than 30 minutes, several times a day.

To be very blunt - your baby is near death. It is dehydrated, hypothermic and not able to get enough oxygen. The response on here is because it is that bad, and only you can try to fix it - none of us can. Think of it as your child being in a pond, unable to stay above water. The last thing you'd do is ask if someone can help you to teach them to swim. Even if you did, any help extended would be to do anything possible to rescue your child. It might be more beneficial if you were to put on your tough skin, work on saving your tort, and think about being angry and your hurt feelings later. Like almost every new tort owner, the "expert" advise and care instructions that you were given are not only not expert, in many cases they are downright harmful.
some people just don’t want to accept it, some take it as rude but it’s what’s best for the tortoise. well said Donna