enclosure advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
OK I need some advice on how to house everyone.

Let me explain what I have and what space I have, I have 2 Russians that need to be housed separately due to aggression, and 3 redfoot that are thus far ok together but I may be separating the smallest to live alone, she seemed happier on her own before I got the other 2.
My Russians are full grown but the redfoot are not yet, they are 8,9,11 inches.

I currently have one covered table that is 6ft x 4ft, it's not completely closed however I can fix that and make it a closed chamber.
I also have the floor space to make 2 separate 8ft x 3ft enclosures, and since I have tall ceilings I can make a second set to go on top, each being 4 ft tall so lights can all be hung within and cats kept out. So in total I can have 5 enclosures.

I am thinking of putting my 2 Russians into 2 of the 8x3s an the smallest redfoot into the 6x4, and most likely splitting up the other 2 redfoot so everyone has their own enclosure, but will this stress them to be separate? They have lived together for 3-4 years and I'm not sure how strong the call of the herd is to a redfoot, I know most torts like being alone but have heard redfoot are herd tort. Do they just tolerate each other or actually like it? If so I could possibly make a 2 floor enclosure out of the stacked 8x3s but I'm not sure on that plus it would change the floor space of the second floor to be smaller...

What do you think?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you have 8' x 3' for each russian that would probably be a good minimum. If you could build a partial 2nd story for each of the Russians that would give them more opportunity to exercise and roam.

For the redfoots, you may consider putting a doorway between the small one and the 2 larger ones. If you build a sliding door with a adjustable width you could give the small redfoot a choice of going into the main area to be with the other 2 or going to his private section through a doorway small enough that the 2 larger torts cannot fit. You may have to experiment with the redfoot torts to see what works best. Hopefully an experienced redfoot keeper has already been thru this and can offer advice based on direct experience.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Good call on the Russians, I will have roughly 3ft above the substrate so I should be able to build second floor of some sort for more space.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I also like the small door idea. If the small Redfoot can fit but not the larger ones than it gives the option to be with the group or solo.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
The enclosures wouldn't be able to go next to each other, they will be spread out in the house. not sure how the room mates will feel about tortoise trails running the house haha. it's looking like I will be keeping her alone for winters, we can try again for the group next summer as I will be saving up this winter to build a greenhouse type for them, a bit too dry here in denver for a regular open air pen. Plus I think she will be happier and less territorial on her own.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
This is what I'm thinking for the enclosures, I'm going to build 4 of them, and stack them 2 high. The 2 for redfoot will have plexi/acrylic windows, and the Russians will have wire mesh.

null_zpsc0348706.jpg

null_zpsc9a56c5c.jpg

null_zps9aa205c7.jpg

I am giving myself a foot for substrate, I'm going to use a false bottom with heat cable underneath so I can create humidity, like the way you would with an amphibian tank but much bigger. I am also going to put worms and pill bugs in the dirt. Plus plant various plants in each depending on who is in each.

The platforms will add the extra floor space, as suggested, and let me grow hanging plants off the edges to make cool looking hides underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.