Hide size when building enclosure

mproko

I am currently designing a roughly 9ft by 5ft indoor inclosure. I will be making 2 one for redfoot and one for Russians. The Russians will be a set of 2 female 1 male. I know to plan for them not getting along and I will adjust as necessary. I'm going to build a big permanent hide in the corner of each. I'm going to have others too but this will be permanent. What size dimensionally for the hide would be good for the redfoot and then the russians. My goal for the hide is as big as necessary but I don't want to take away from more floor spacing. Also is there a rule when it comes to sizing based on size of animal for hide or is it species dependent?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It depends on the size of your torts. The Russian enclosure is way too small for three Russians. Can you go bigger or do a second level? Lots of sight barriers will help for them getting along, however, that size will lose lots of space with too many site barriers. I would also be sure to have at least three hides. Big enough for one to get into. @Tom might be able to help more here, he has more Russians then I do.

mproko

Will adjust enclosure size plans for Russians. So the hide is essentially just big enough to house 1 animal?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I am currently designing a roughly 9ft by 5ft indoor inclosure. I will be making 2 one for redfoot and one for Russians. The Russians will be a set of 2 female 1 male. I know to plan for them not getting along and I will adjust as necessary. I'm going to build a big permanent hide in the corner of each. I'm going to have others too but this will be permanent. What size dimensionally for the hide would be good for the redfoot and then the russians. My goal for the hide is as big as necessary but I don't want to take away from more floor spacing. Also is there a rule when it comes to sizing based on size of animal for hide or is it species dependent?

Welcome to the forum!

I always tend to thin: the bigger the enclosure the better. These cute little animals are used to roaming around freely in the wild.

Have you read the section on enclosures? That would help you. And good luck!