Thoughts on hide...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
At the moment I have a 4'x2 ' hide.. Its very dark and I keep it around 75* The russians go in every night on there own.. But out of 8 Russians only 4-5 come out during the day to eat( daytime temps are in the 80*) the remaining stay partially dug in inside the hide...after reading that Russians need more light to become active I was thinking of either putting in a skylight or a small 25 watt bulb on a timer..so they know it's time to get motivated(lol).. The hide is located in the shade as temps here hover mid 90s here in the summer.... Thoughts.??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're talking outdoors? I'm surprised they don't come out on their own. Maybe make the hide smaller?????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At the moment I have a 4'x2 ' hide.. Its very dark and I keep it around 75* The russians go in every night on there own.. But out of 8 Russians only 4-5 come out during the day to eat( daytime temps are in the 80*) the remaining stay partially dug in inside the hide...after reading that Russians need more light to become active I was thinking of either putting in a skylight or a small 25 watt bulb on a timer..so they know it's time to get motivated(lol).. The hide is located in the shade as temps here hover mid 90s here in the summer.... Thoughts.??

I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested to know what you learn from this.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
You're talking outdoors? I'm surprised they don't come out on their own. Maybe make the hide smaller?????

You think that would help... Ceiling height in the hide is about 3". So when they enter they go down 2"-3" then come up... I did that to keep it dry when we get the occasional 3-4" of rain in 15 minutes... Yvonne why do you think making the hide smaller would help? I made it that big so they can have room to move away from the heat panel if they want ...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thinking further about this, I just thought I would share that my russian hides are semi-buried and very dark, but mine seem to come and go each day on their own.

Maybe its still a little early in the season and the shorter days are still messing with them?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Thinking further about this, I just thought I would share that my russian hides are semi-buried and very dark, but mine seem to come and go each day on their own.

Maybe its still a little early in the season and the shorter days are still messing with them?

If I take them out and block the entrance they go about there business and eat...as soon as I open the hide ...the same 3-4 go back in.... You think if I lower the heat at night it would force them to want to go out and warm up?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You think that would help... Ceiling height in the hide is about 3". So when they enter they go down 2"-3" then come up... I did that to keep it dry when we get the occasional 3-4" of rain in 15 minutes... Yvonne why do you think making the hide smaller would help? I made it that big so they can have room to move away from the heat panel if they want ...

I really don't know. Was just throwing out an idea. Maybe if it weren't so comfortable? Like Tom's Russians, mine prefer to dig in, which means they have dirt all around them, no open space. Maybe if it were smaller they'd feel the need to get out when the sun shines???

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Made hide smaller 36"x16". Give it a few days... If that does nothing. Will drill a few 2" holes and cover with a piece of plexi glass see if the light stimulates them to move about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I take them out and block the entrance they go about there business and eat...as soon as I open the hide ...the same 3-4 go back in.... You think if I lower the heat at night it would force them to want to go out and warm up?

Is it possible they are hiding from a more dominant animal?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Is it possible they are hiding from a more dominant animal?

Haven't seen any signs of aggression.. If I take them from the hide and place them around the food..they all eat and interact together.... The ones that are staying in the hide most of the time are 3 wild caught sub adult females and sub adult male....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going to ask the same as Tom. Any fear of coming out and being bullied, so they stay in and hide?
I also wondered if adding a bulb would make it too hot for them?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Interesting question. Sorry I have nothing to contribute, but it will be interesting to see results of a hide with a skylight. Please post some photos! :)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well... All except one is exiting the hide except for one long term captive 7" female....I want to thank everyone for there help..I appreciate it..