Enclosure Covering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Hi
I am building a new enclosure for my adult RF and I was just wondering if the entire enclosure neads to be covered with hardware cloth. His current enclosure is 8'x8' and it has a hardware cloth covering. Because the new enclosure will more than twice the size of the original it would be difficult to enclose the top. I am open to suggestions!
Thanks
John

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
This is an enclosure idea that I had for someone else about a month ago. His enclosure was a different size than yours but the idea for the top would work just the same.
Outdoorenclosuredoors.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
What about using this instead of hardware cloth?

http://www.louispage.com/wire-netting/for-flight-pens

(I'm not recommending this company, never bought anything from them or heard of them. Just using as an example to show you what I mean.)

Speaking from tragic personal experience, if the goal is to keep out tortoise predators, I would use nothing less than metal wire of some sort. Hardware cloth, welded wire or even chicken wire would be better.

Having said that, I don't cover my pens where I am now. It depends on your area and how long they will be out there un-attended.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They actually make netting that can be electrified. I used on my chicken coop, just tapped off my horse fence and it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.